engine swap project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
My glasses are always full as I brew at home. Anyone else following my mechanic adventures homebrew? I have a killer recipe for a Edmund fitzgerald clone, and a irish red that is to die for at 9%
Eric
Aw, crap you're too far away. I was gonna be your new best friend!!!

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Happy Mothers Day!
My beer glasses were empty this a.m. and my eye glasses were on. Flex plate installed correctly, starter fits fine. Re installed all belts and hoses, radiator and supports and battery. Truck is dead electricaly. Put battery booster charger on system and still no power. No lights, no horn, no nothing. Any ideas other than going back through and making sure all my grounds are good? As always the brain trust hear is greatly appreciated.
Eric

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Check for 12v on both sides here.

You must be registered for see images attach

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Thank you, I was not prepared to get as far as I got yesterday. That means I did not have my test light or volt meter with me when I attempted to start. Will try and get there this week after work in the evening to keep pushing the ball up the hill.
Eric

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Got to the mechanics shop today after work. I verified all 4 of my grounds as being good. Radiator support, alternator bracket, copper braid to fire wall, and copper braid to rear of head on passenger side. All good. I also have power going out to alternator.

I have no voltage on either side of the junction in your picture. Is that a fusible link in the wire leading to the junction?

Eric

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Got to the mechanics shop today after work. I verified all 4 of my grounds as being good. Radiator support, alternator bracket, copper braid to fire wall, and copper braid to rear of head on passenger side. All good. I also have power going out to alternator.

I have no voltage on either side of the junction in your picture. Is that a fusible link in the wire leading to the junction?

Eric

Yes, check the large post on the starter.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
ROFLMAO!
So I checked for voltage on the starter and got zip. Was preparing to remove wire from battery to starter to verify continuity when I realized it was on top of the front diff where I had tucked it and never re- attached it. Attached the wire and cranked the engine over and it is alive!
Eric

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
ROFLMAO!
So I checked for voltage on the starter and got zip. Was preparing to remove wire from battery to starter to verify continuity when I realized it was on top of the front diff where I had tucked it and never re- attached it. Attached the wire and cranked the engine over and it is alive!
Eric

In the real world, these things happen to all of us lol. It's only on reality TV where they have 8 minutes to do a frame off restoration and it fires on the first try lol.

Congratulations!

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
So on to my transmission cooler lines. Could only run the engine a minute before they started puking. I am calling the parts store tomorrow to see if they have a listing for replacements. If not are the lines the standard 5/16 tubing like I saw in a thread for the th350, I am running the 700r.
Thanx in advance!
Eric

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, standard 5/16 tubing and flare nuts. I've always made my own lines when I needed them. It can be a frustrating pain in the ass, but worth it when it's done tidy. And cheap too.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Been keeping up with the new posts here, but work started to suck again thus the delay. Got some time Sunday to get after those tranny cooling lines. I bought stock straight tubing at my local Napa and got busy bending. Line 1 went without a hitch. First bend on line 2 and my 30 year old tubing bender broke! :( Got a new one in the mail today and it is onward to line 2, then on to my fuel leak. When will it stop? I am convinced that I angered all the parts held together by rust when I started man handling things to get the new motor in.
Eric

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Been keeping up with the new posts here, but work started to suck again thus the delay. Got some time Sunday to get after those tranny cooling lines. I bought stock straight tubing at my local Napa and got busy bending. Line 1 went without a hitch. First bend on line 2 and my 30 year old tubing bender broke! :( Got a new one in the mail today and it is onward to line 2, then on to my fuel leak. When will it stop? I am convinced that I angered all the parts held together by rust when I started man handling things to get the new motor in.
Eric

The last little things always take the longest. That's why no one who actually wrenches likes those stupid reality shows lol.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Trans cooler lines completed. Removed fuel filter and rotten line on frame and off to napa I go Monday.
Eric

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
So as a interesting side note. I am at napa and get the filter and the " kit " to replace the lines. I rub some gunk off my old filter and I am pretty sure the f ing thing was in backwards? The rotten line is after the filter and on to the tbi. The rotten line was in the double bend after the filter after the rubber line. I am going to assume that we filter fuel from the tank on its way to the tbi. My filter was installed with the arrow facing the tank?

I have owned this truck for years and do not ever remember changing the filter. I may have back in the early 90's when I drank profesionaly. Or a tune up guy may have done it?

My thinking says the take out is backwards.

Thoughts?
Eric

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I don't know if makes a big difference since is been like that for a while but, I would want the flow arrow pointing in the right direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara