engine swap project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Awesome information! Any suggestions on which puller to buy? The pro form model looks rugged as well as the one from summit.
Eric

Balancer puller? Mine is OEM brand, it's pretty old, and rarely get's used, but it hasn't failed yet.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
So I have made a lot of progress and having a good time, until today. Minor hiccup. 87 heads and intake are on the 84 block. Ballancer swapped over, exhaust manifolds on, new water pump on. Went to install distributor and discovered it will not sit down on on the oil pump. Pulled the distributor out and turned it over to compare with distributor I took out. The drive pin on the 87 tbi distributor is fatter than on the 84. Is the simple solution to just buy another distributor, or change the oil pump? I would prefer the distributor option. Any solutions or advice you can offer will be greatly apretiated!
Eric

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Wow!
Thanx for that link and info. Will call them tomorrow and get back on track.
Eric

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Skip White distributors are good stuff, for the price of one, I wouldn't monkey around with stock.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Thanx for that. I read somewhere on here that unless you have pictures your project does not exist!
lol
I am going to try a upload
Eric

You must be registered for see images attach

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanx for that. I read somewhere on here that unless you have pictures your project does not exist!
lol
I am going to try a upload
Eric

You must be registered for see images attach
I was doubting the projects existence.
But just when all Hope seemed lost
A picture appeared

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Budgets. lol
Isn't that the truth. I had no notion of taking this project on myself until I got a quote from a local mechanic to do the job. His time was waaay out of my budget range, so here I am. The wife, I love her to death for 25 years now, got the bill to date and asked for a explanation. I gave it to her in dollars and all was good. Fast forward to my perusing the Skip White site looking at distributors. She peers over my shoulder and says, that is a pretty one, we should get it. It was the all aluminum stage 6, 560hp model. I told her how much it was, back to the budget, and she thinks our red one is just fine, lol
Eric

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Solved distributor issue! lol After reading a lot on the web I came to the conclusion that my issue was mine, not the parts. The skip white distributor arrived with only 1 plug connection. In an effort to stay as clean as possible I got a stock replacement from napa. Low and behold the spade on the bottom was chamfered. Which was a suggestion from the net using a file. Any way the thing dropped right in on the first try and I do not have to get into my wiring harness as it is plug and play stock.
Thing I can not understand is why I thought putting a dirty worn distributor in a new set up was o.k.? My dumb ness I guess. Back on track. while noodling this miss step I also realized that when I pulled the mechanical fuel pump off and installed the block off plate, I failed to remove the push rod. I am removing the plate and rod today, then re installing the plate.
The trials and tribulations of a pretend mechanic.
Eric

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Solved distributor issue! lol After reading a lot on the web I came to the conclusion that my issue was mine, not the parts. The skip white distributor arrived with only 1 plug connection. In an effort to stay as clean as possible I got a stock replacement from napa. Low and behold the spade on the bottom was chamfered. Which was a suggestion from the net using a file. Any way the thing dropped right in on the first try and I do not have to get into my wiring harness as it is plug and play stock.
Thing I can not understand is why I thought putting a dirty worn distributor in a new set up was o.k.? My dumb ness I guess. Back on track. while noodling this miss step I also realized that when I pulled the mechanical fuel pump off and installed the block off plate, I failed to remove the push rod. I am removing the plate and rod today, then re installing the plate.
The trials and tribulations of a pretend mechanic.
Eric

Live and learn right?

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
My mileage in life so far has been a direct quote from the Dead. " going to hell in a bucket, but at least I enjoyed the ride" My deal is to enjoy the journey as much as the destination or outcome.
Eric
Got all the accessories on this afternoon, going back on the chain fall tomorrow to install the flex plate. Next stop stabbing it back in the truck. I got two long bolts with the heads cut off to aid with alignment on the tranny, any other words of wisdom or tips on patience to aid in Saturdays adventure?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
My mileage in life so far has been a direct quote from the Dead. " going to hell in a bucket, but at least I enjoyed the ride" My deal is to enjoy the journey as much as the destination or outcome.
Eric
Got all the accessories on this afternoon, going back on the chain fall tomorrow to install the flex plate. Next stop stabbing it back in the truck. I got two long bolts with the heads cut off to aid with alignment on the tranny, any other words of wisdom or tips on patience to aid in Saturdays adventure?

A small jack under the oil pan helps tilt the engine to line up with the trans easier.

Don't give in to the temptation to run the bellhousing bolts in with an impact until you're certain you have the proper clearance to your converter, many a transmission pump has been ruined that way.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
So the motor went back in today. Bolted up to the trans, and re installed the motor mount bolts. Those 12 bolts and getting it lined up took 6 hours flying solo. arghhhh! I would recommend a helper to anybody doing this. I have a strong 1/4 inch gap between the flex plate and converter. Is it o.k. to just pull the converter forward and bolt up? Common sense says yes, but asking anyway. I also found a leak in the line from transmission to radiator that needs to be fixed while I was under there.
Eric

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Sounds like you have it all together, that’s the way it works. You will be back on the road before you know it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL