Engine swap in '93 G20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
G20
Engine Size
Hey guys,

I'm pretty deep into a restoration on my '93 G20 van. It has a Pathfinder 4x4 conversion with 35s and has a ton of potential, but it needed substantial rust remediation and some body work. Once that is addressed, I'm going to put a new motor in it and have the transfer case rebuilt among other mechanical things before getting into kitting out the interior.

The current TBI 350 in it is tired, and while I had dreams of swapping in an LS motor, for financial and timeline reasons (as well as California emissions checks, which is no small matter) I'm realizing that sticking with the gen II platform is probably best. I suppose if there is another guy on here that has done an LS swap in CA into one of these vans and knows all the ins and outs, I might be able to be convinced to start heading back down that route, but absent that I'm probably looking at a TBI 383 with some bolt ons. It is going to be a towing / camping rig, so I want it to be stout and reliable. It doesn't need to be fast.

My main question, which I haven't been able to find through searching, is what is the difference between the van 350 motor and a truck 350 motor? If I get a crate engine, are there going to be differences in the connections and accessories that aren't compatible due to the tight packaging requirements of the van? I'm thinking of things like the dipstick, oil filler tube, coolant plumbing, intake / exhaust manifolds...I'm not sure what all might be different (if anything).

If anyone has gone through an engine swap in the G-series vans, I'd greatly appreciate any help here.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The long block itself is the same. Just minor differences in the small trinkets that bolt on, like the dipstick.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I would imagine it's probably a lot like the RV application. Like bucket said, you may see differences in accessory brackets, dip stick, the intake manifold may be different, exhaust manifolds, etc.

Your best bet is to take the existing motor and strip everything off of it. Once you get the new motor, swap all the above parts onto it. The only thing that you really need to pay attention to is whether you need a mechanical fuel pump boss on the block or not. You may also want to pay attention to whether the heads use center-post vortec-style valve covers or the old-school type with bolts around the outside. That may matter if you have to reuse your existing covers for spacing etc.

As far as the motor itself, a small block is a small block. 305/350/400 its all the same externally.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Since your's is a 93 EFI engine, I'm not sure of this will help, but this is the sales brochure for my '85. There is a difference in the over and under 8600 GVW 350's.

You must be registered for see images attach

TheFlyingDutchman

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
G20
Engine Size
I hadn't thought of the fuel pump boss. I'm sticking with EFI, so I don't think this will be an issue. Also I've got the SBC perimeter bolt valve covers. Thanks for any other suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade