Engine stand question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think he should have went with the other two holes higher on the bellhousing. Once he gets the heads on the center of gravity is going to be high, and the first time he rolls it over if he aint careful that thing is gonna flop to the floor, and crush whatever is under it.

That's what I said. If it can't reach, then I'd use the top and center set of holes. Gonna have more holding power that way. Thinking of leverage, not going to be good at all the way he has it pictured.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
So flip it around then remount it using the top two bolt holes.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So flip it around then remount it using the top two bolt holes.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

NO, don't flip it around. You can't bolt to the timing cover. You have to bolt to the bell housing bolt bosses. Turn it over and use the top holes in the bell housing and the middle holes.

But then come to think of it, no matter how you do it, you're not getting all the strength. When you roll the motor over crank side up, then you're in the weaker position again. You're sure you can't get that head in the center of the block??? Where did you get this engine stand? What brand is it? I'll be sure not to buy one. Of course I have 2 stands, so I won't be anyway, but that sux.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
LOL I dont think he meant flip the motor, just the stand head. I still think he will be better off with it high of center. And keep in mind it is probably not the engine stand's fault, it is afterall an odd duck engine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Never know with our buddy Dave. But yes, still better of the worse to bolt to the top holes of the block rather than the bottom without a doubt. Hopefully he gets it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OH, and as I suggested earlier, I don't thnk I'd go past building the short block with it bolted that way. I'd be afraid with the weight of the heads, intake etc, what might happen.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And that is flip it over, not around.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
NO, don't flip it around. You can't bolt to the timing cover. You have to bolt to the bell housing bolt bosses. Turn it over and use the top holes in the bell housing and the middle holes.

But then come to think of it, no matter how you do it, you're not getting all the strength. When you roll the motor over crank side up, then you're in the weaker position again. You're sure you can't get that head in the center of the block??? Where did you get this engine stand? What brand is it? I'll be sure not to buy one. Of course I have 2 stands, so I won't be anyway, but that sux.

The brand name is MVP Pro Lift deluxe engine stand @750lb.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Sounds more like a NVP Begginer Life Deluxe Piece of **** @ 100lb if you can't get the arms to reach. Don't trash it though. Still might be good to build your 3.5 horsepower Briggs and Stratons.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Sounds more like a NVP Begginer Life Deluxe Piece of **** @ 100lb if you can't get the arms to reach. Don't trash it though. Still might be good to build your 3.5 horsepower Briggs and Stratons.

I think I need to buy 1ton for big blocks and keep this one for small blocks. Have to see what harbor freight has in 1 ton.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think I need to buy 1ton for big blocks and keep this one for small blocks. Have to see what harbor freight has in 1 ton.

Not a bad idea. My daughter bought my sil the 1 ton for Christmas 2 years ago. It seems to be fairly sturdy. I'd use it. She got it on sale, and used one of my 20% coupons so it was farily cheap.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Ive got one of the 1250 pound stands. Ive only used it to hold a couple of boat motors but it has never even sagged even a lil with them and they were 150 size outboards. i used it a while back to help a buddy get his jeep off a trailer by bolting it to the front end and dragging the jeep ff the trailer with that being the only support up front lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I have 3 of those and they work on the Chevy motors. They do sag a bit with a SBC though. I bought a stronger stand from Jegs to use on the heavier big blocks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have 3 of those and they work on the Chevy motors. They do sag a bit with a SBC though. I bought a stronger stand from Jegs to use on the heavier big blocks.

ewwww, so they really are pretty much junk??? Sags with a SBC?? Now that is sad. As I said, Dave, just use it for your Briggs and Stratton Motors, your Wisonsins, Tecumsehs etc.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ive got one of the 1250 pound stands. Ive only used it to hold a couple of boat motors but it has never even sagged even a lil with them and they were 150 size outboards. i used it a while back to help a buddy get his jeep off a trailer by bolting it to the front end and dragging the jeep ff the trailer with that being the only support up front lol

:roflbow: Get 2 of them and use them for body off restoration rotiserries. :happy175:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man