Engine stalls when shifted in gear/accelerated and when I cover the carb with my hand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCtractorboy

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8 305
1985 Chevy Silverado C10
Engine is a V8 305

I recently noticed that when I’m driving down the road my truck hesitates when first accelerating from a stop. It bogs down then catches back up with itself (or stalls). It feels like there’s a loss of power when going up hills also. Parked it a few weeks to save some money up and I replaced the fuel pump, air injection pump and the fuel filter in hopes that one of these were the issue but still I didn’t get any better results. Engine idles just fine, its only when I put it in reverse or drive that it idles low (doesn’t stall) and press the accelerator some that it completely shuts off.

Also with the engine running I can cover the carb with my hand and it stalls, not sure if that’s good or bad. I know if you cover it and it continues to run there’s a possible vacuum leak.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
1985 Chevy Silverado C10
Engine is a V8 305

I recently noticed that when I’m driving down the road my truck hesitates when first accelerating from a stop. It bogs down then catches back up with itself (or stalls). It feels like there’s a loss of power when going up hills also. Parked it a few weeks to save some money up and I replaced the fuel pump, air injection pump and the fuel filter in hopes that one of these were the issue but still I didn’t get any better results. Engine idles just fine, its only when I put it in reverse or drive that it idles low (doesn’t stall) and press the accelerator some that it completely shuts off.

Also with the engine running I can cover the carb with my hand and it stalls, not sure if that’s good or bad. I know if you cover it and it continues to run there’s a possible vacuum leak.
Sounds like a possible timing issue

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What is a possible solution to fixing it, if any?
Pull your cap and rotor. make sure your centrifugal advance weights aren’t rusted fast. Also check the cap for arc traces while you have it off. Maybe just replace them too.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe an accelerator pump. Do you see gas squirting down the carb when you work the accelerator, with the air filter off and a dead engine?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugRedC10