Engine removal 87 K5 350 tbi with tranny or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
Hi guys I was pretty soon I will be removing my 350 TBI engine I was wondering if it would be easier to remove engine with the transmission or with out it if with the transmission the transfer case will it be a issue to remove the transfer case or no ?

Overthedge21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1010
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
That depends if you wanna just do an engine swap, or the trans and the engine. If it's just the engine you desire to change, then don't pull the trans too, but if you want to swap both then pull them together

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
Ok thanks dude

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I'd vote to just pull the engine alone. Especially since it's 4x4 now you'll have a transfer case as well to finagle up and out. More parts to mess with more headache. Support the transmission after you pull the engine and you'll be golden. On my '87 the transmission shifted a bit while I had it supoorted and made it a pita to get them mated after the engine was back in. Took several attempts with one up in the engine bay and the other under wiggling the trans to get everything to fall into place.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
make sure that torque convertor stays locked in place or know how to put it back in properly. If not, you'll be having the trans rebuilt. Been there done that.

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
The transmission it's the original transmission I haven't had any issues with it my buddy he looked at the fluid and he smelt doesn't smell burnt or anything so that's good and I'm going to get the transmission serviced and I'm going to get the transmission fluid and filter in the transmission pan seal changed and in service and I'm going to have them look at it and tell me what they think if the transmission should be rebuilt or what I haven't had any issues with it it ain't Slippin or anything it's shifting fine and everything so I don't know whatever is the easiest way you know

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
Cuz I figured once I have the engine out and I'm putting new crate 350 in it I was thinking maybe might as well get the transmission rebuild you know I'm so limited on money but it's original transmission and everything

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
When using the jack to balance the transmission do I just put it under rest it the transmission pan or on the upper part of transmission?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I use a piece of 2x4 that is WIDER THAN THE PAN , and jack on that. If you spread the load, it's not gonna hurt anything.

Mind you, the transfer case weighs several hundred pounds. Safety first.

That said, try really hard to use a JACK STAND, and not only the jack, for extended periods - it's possible, swap it out .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69