Engine Dieseling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Can you plug the vacuum ports that arnt being used or should they all still be the same and unchanged with the new carb

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, you will need to plug them with something. Even if it's a cut off piece of hose with a screw in the end of it. Plug it off or hook it to where it goes. There may be some ports that don't get used at all on aftermarket carb.

SWSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey, get to the weapons forum... no time fo' square bods...dang i want one!

SWSS from somewhere....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey, get to the weapons forum... no time fo' square bods...dang i want one!

SWSS from somewhere....

hahahaha, needing some modding done??? Did you post in the wrong category AGAIN??? :laughing1:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If I were you I would start with vacuum lines. Getting some new lines is next to nothing, just note what sizes all your lines are and get 2 feet over what you think you need. Also, go by your local Lowes or Home Depot and ask for some screw protectors(see pic at bottom for example, they are so much cheaper than the exact same thing sold by Jegs/Summit). They usually have them where you can buy loose screws and bolts. Get all different colors since they are different sizes. Use those to plug open ports on the carb that aren't used. Only plug ones that aren't used after you run new vacuum lines. After that, I assume you have vacuum advance on the distributor. Use a golf tee to plug that line, use a screw protector to plug the port you pulled it off of on the carb. Shoot the timing light down there and get it to around 10-12 degrees BTDC. Then reconnect the vacuum advance. Then set RPM on the carb to 700-800 rpm @ idle in park. Then hook up a vacuum gauge to manifold source, turn idle mixture screws to achieve highest vacuum. Make sure to turn both screws in equal increments. After each turning of both screws, check your RPMs @ idle, adjust to 700-800 to keep your tuning at a baseline RPM. Then drive the hell out of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Damn y'all make it sound so easy lol

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Damn y'all make it sound so easy lol

It it easy. The best way to learn is to try yourself. Go slow, step by step and it will turn out fine.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Does anyone have the vacuum diagram

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If it is that badly screwed up I would,if it were Me,start by removing all of the hoses from off of the carb and plugging each and every vacuum port on the carb.Make sure there are no open to air manifold vacuum ports{IE;brake booster} and if so plug those too.
Start the engine and tune it according to the instructions that came with the carb.
Now that the carb is tuned and performing,plug in the vacuum advance to the distributor and get the timing and advanced set up according to the tune up label on the radiator shroud.
Now then that You have it completely tuned up and running corectly start one at a time removing one plug at a time a plugging the hose into that port according to the vac. diagram.
If during any of the plugging in of the hoses a bad vacuum leak or a faster than normal idle occurs,You then need to check out that one circuit until that problem is solved then move onto the next circuit until the process is completed.
One step at a time is best and it is tough to get there when a person does`nt know where to start,but,by plugging "ALL" of the vac. ports on the carb seems like there is still a bad vacuum leak then You will need to be looking into the gaskets,the base ics of the beginning.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ya I know nothing about that. I can do basic mechanical work that is about it. I think I need to take it to someone so they can look at it.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ya I know nothing about that. I can do basic mechanical work that is about it. I think I need to take it to someone so they can look at it.

Before spending money to do that,If it were Me,I would clip Me off some pieces of vacuum hose,plug one end with a screw or a nail,a twig if You do`nt have any of those,and pull all the hoses from off the carb,plug them with Your home made vacuum caps and see how it runs.It do`nt cost a dime to try and it does`nt seem like it would get worse.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

this is basic mechanical work.. trust me it is not as hard as it sounds. To me it is easier to just trace lines than try to read the vacuum diagram. those things are confusing

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The Vac diagrams are easier to follow than a wiring diagram. But then again, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I can follow wiring diagrams but struggle sometimes. Vac line diagram, piece of cake. Build a trans or a motor, no problem, but build a carb, not so good in most cases. I can do it, but just seems so damn tedious to me.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
but after 30 years, you don't know what still there and what isn't.. so just better to trace what you have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26