Engine cuts out - cranks, no start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
C2500 Suburban & C1500 Pick Up
Engine Size
350M & 305H
1981 GMC C 1500 2WD 305/350THM engine code H.
Would not restart when hot (ambient temperature 110 plus) – no tach when cranking hot, 20 minutes of engine cooled down and it started and ran fine. I had an aftermarket replacement coil so I installed it while waiting for the Standard ignition control module to arrive (I reckoned I would get one while I still can get a ‘5 pin’ ICM). I saw some of the insulation on the red wire was missing on the coil I removed and there was a small spot burned away around the hole in the rubber insulator that is between the coil and cap where the button passes through. The truck started up with the aftermarket coil – but after idling for 25 minutes in 100 plus temps then it dies with no tach movement when cranking. I install the new Standard brand ICM the engine ran for 30 minutes and died, tach slight jump when cranking and then nothing – no jump no fire. The ESC module is bypassed with a jumper in a Delphi type connector and the truck has run well with this for over a year. Started it up this morning – with a stumble after 25 minutes, and dies, it will restart, but with a jumping tach and runs rough, it is only about 80 F this morning.
I sure could use some help.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sounds to me like a failing pickup coil. With your bypassed ESC, it may be time to simply drop in a new HEI distributor. MSD's "Street Fire" brand has worked very well for me. I've installed 5 or 6 of them now (all different vehicles, not the same one, lol).

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Pmac Well since you have replace the module and coil, I agree it's got to be the pick up coil.

I've installed 5 or 6 of them now (all different vehicles, not the same one, lol).

Thanks for that, I've had a ****** day and something in the way phased that gave me a chuckle.

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
Engine Size
350M & 305H
Sounds to me like a failing pickup coil. With your bypassed ESC, it may be time to simply drop in a new HEI distributor. MSD's "Street Fire" brand has worked very well for me. I've installed 5 or 6 of them now (all different vehicles, not the same one, lol).
Thanks, I have a spare non-ESC distributor somewhere - I will dig it out and see if I can find an application on the net - it was supposed to be for a boat but I doubt it, any tips on installing a "Street Fire" ? It will be about $300 bucks here, I can get a Taiwan special "Spectra Premium GM08" for about $200 that is supposed to be application specific. And thanks again for taking the time to help.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I wasn't even aware that Spectra offered ignition components. They generally offer decent stuff, but electronics would be a harder sale for me.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Pmac @bucket I meant to comment on this earlier. Spectra is NOT a tawain company. Spectra Distributors are rebranded Richporter distributors. Richporter is based out of Canada, and use to build distributors there, but now Richporter has them built by a Chinese company called WIA. It is very likely your instructions will have WIA printed on them as you can get get them WIA brand at Autozone or Spectra branded at O'reily's. I've had to use a number of their distributors and wiper motor and let me tell you they look like great and work just as well. I've not had a single warranty issue with them at the shop.

Last edited:

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
Engine Size
350M & 305H
@bucket @SirRobyn0
Every bit of opinion on aftermarket parts that I get from this forum is a bonus - I have had some frightening experiences over the last couple of years with 'white box' parts that have spooked me. Spectra products are very common up here ( my rubbish bins are Spectra's) I found the Spectra site this morning and found an GM14 distributor and it is a 5 terminal module - amazon notes indicated that the GM08 ( a 4 blade module ) would fit, but I would rather have the 5 blade - the amazon product description also indicated that the country of origin is Taiwan, but I have more confidence in SirRobyn0 observations. Maybe someday I can come across a ESC module that would not break the bank. I found my non-ESC distributor and may do a test fit with that while waiting for parts; the stamped part number the spare dizzy is 1103357 with a date code of 8C16 but I have not been able to find a application on the net. Thanks, I think it is time to become a supporting member.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@bucket @SirRobyn0
Every bit of opinion on aftermarket parts that I get from this forum is a bonus - I have had some frightening experiences over the last couple of years with 'white box' parts that have spooked me. Spectra products are very common up here ( my rubbish bins are Spectra's) I found the Spectra site this morning and found an GM14 distributor and it is a 5 terminal module - amazon notes indicated that the GM08 ( a 4 blade module ) would fit, but I would rather have the 5 blade - the amazon product description also indicated that the country of origin is Taiwan, but I have more confidence in SirRobyn0 observations. Maybe someday I can come across a ESC module that would not break the bank. I found my non-ESC distributor and may do a test fit with that while waiting for parts; the stamped part number the spare dizzy is 1103357 with a date code of 8C16 but I have not been able to find a application on the net. Thanks, I think it is time to become a supporting member.
I'm on my way out the door and should not even be on the forum right now. When I get back this afternoon I'll look up those numbers in my book and see if I can tell you what it was built for.

I work in the repair business and completely agree with your statement "I have had some frightening experiences over the last couple of years with 'white box' parts" One thing I dislike is house brand parts because it is hard to tell without research who build it and where. Like Duralast doesn't make any parts, they are just the Autozone store brand, or NAPA brand parts, again they don't made anything. O-riely's is a little better at least you can go in there and buy WIX filters.....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
All I can get is it's an obsolete Delco Remy unit, Date code would indicate it was built March 16th, 1978 or 1988. They only used the last character in the year. I'd say your best bet would be to contact delco remy here: http://www.delcoremy.com/find-a-part/application-request sorry I'm not of much help this time.

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
Engine Size
350M & 305H
SirRobyn0
Thanks for the link - I had been to that page, saw the OBSOLETE but the "Part 8CYL/CCW-HEI" did not sink in - 1103357 may indeed be for a boat - however it has a vacuum advance, something I thought was impractical in a marine application - any road I will call Spectra tomorrow to inquire about their GM14 HEI and what it comes with before I make up my mind about whether to bin the ESC for good or lurch along - as my kids say " you have chosen struggle" and by the by, you (and Bucket) have been more help than you know.

Clint L

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban c20
Engine Size
I've used summit brand hei dizzys on three vehicles over the last several years and they have all been trouble free. Probably looking at a little over $100.

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
Engine Size
350M & 305H
@Pmac @bucket I meant to comment on this earlier. Spectra is NOT a tawain company. Spectra Distributors are rebranded Richporter distributors. Richporter is based out of Canada, and use to build distributors there, but now Richporter has them built by a Chinese company called WIA. It is very likely your instructions will have WIA printed on them as you can get get them WIA brand at Autozone or Spectra branded at O'reily's. I've had to use a number of their distributors and wiper motor and let me tell you they look like great and work just as well. I've not had a single warranty issue with them at the shop.
I purchased the Spectra HEI GM 14 from amazon ~ despite the poor value of our dollar it was very inexpensive; it took many week for it to arrive and that, in part, explains the lateness of this post. After two weeks of road testing it has passed with flying colours - the box is marked " Made in Philippines".
On another matter - do you still get 'Last weeks favourite topics'? That used to be the best part of Monday mornings and I not longer get them in my mail box. Thanks for your help.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I purchased the Spectra HEI GM 14 from amazon ~ despite the poor value of our dollar it was very inexpensive; it took many week for it to arrive and that, in part, explains the lateness of this post. After two weeks of road testing it has passed with flying colours - the box is marked " Made in Philippines".
On another matter - do you still get 'Last weeks favourite topics'? That used to be the best part of Monday mornings and I not longer get them in my mail box. Thanks for your help.
I don't think I ever subscribed the last week favorite topic E-mail as I don't ever recall getting them.

One more thing about Spectra / WIA. So at the shop when we are working on these old trucks we try to use A/C Delco parts as much as possible, but obviously some stuff is out of production. So about 2 years ago the windshield wiper motor goes out in my truck, go to get an A/C delco unit and they are out of stock, the only thing available locally was an A1Cardone. I'm not an Cardone fan but at the time it was the only thing I could get in a hurry. We'll first off these things looked like crap. Electrical connectors silicone in, and silver spray paint.... The first one stopped working the same day I put it in. The second one the washer pump did not work in, the third one worked ok until I was about 100 miles from home in a rain storm one day and it quit working, and even better I was towing my trailer. Well that was it. I certainly wasn't going to be putting another A1Cardone in. So I ordered a WIA unit from Autozone. At the time I'd never used a WIA part. Well let me tell you I opened the box and it was dead ringer for the original A/C Delco unit. It has been trouble free ever since and we've used their parts a number of times at the shop now and they have all been really great.

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
Engine Size
350M & 305H
Good information - I usually drive to the A/C Delco jobber about 20 minutes away - I like the staff, they take the time to research bits for my Antiques Roadshow. There are some Autozone stores down along the border ( about 6 hours away) and I will look at ordering parts from the US site - and, your informed opinion is gold in these frightening times, faults that I would have never thought likely happen left and right, so thanks.
The weekly feature was "Last week's most popular topics. (from GM Square Body - 1973 - 1987 GM Truck Forum)" it was a great way to start the week - I read everyone; it must have been a great deal of work to prepare, and very generous of the group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35