Engine break in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wanna Break- in that bad boy tomorrow? Get that royal purple break- in oil they said they have and while your there get an oil pressure gauge and a copper line kit for it :cheers:

GET ERR DONE:popcorn:

All they had when I got there was royal purple 10w40. Wasn't break in oil. Just regular ol $10/quart oil lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Go buy them parts and make the wifey happy bud. then maybe you can start getting laid again lol....

Joking

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Crap. well poo

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lol I'm frugal, not cheap. I'm going to do it correctly, just getting anxious. My wife keeps walking around mad because there is $2500 worth of parts just sitting in my garage not being used yet, and I cringe every time I have to tell her that I need to go buy something else for it first.

Boy, do I know that story. "And how much is THAT going to cost?"

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lol exactly

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Do you have an Advance Auto nearby?

If so, they carry Lucas Oil Products TB Zinc-Plus Engine Break-In Oil Additive.

I don't know the ZDDP content as compared with Comp Cams break-in fluid, but it must be wicked high. Lucas claims that the engine oil contains "5000 to 5200 ppm of zinc when (16 ounces of their product) is mixed into a 5 qt system".

But the good thing about Comp Cams break-in fluid is how sticky it is. You can assemble an engine and - even after a month or so in hot weather - when comes time for break-in, the parts will still have a good coating on them.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you have an Advance Auto nearby?

If so, they carry Lucas Oil Products TB Zinc-Plus Engine Break-In Oil Additive.

I don't know the ZDDP content as compared with Comp Cams break-in fluid, but it must be wicked high. Lucas claims that the engine oil contains "5000 to 5200 ppm of zinc when (16 ounces of their product) is mixed into a 5 qt system".

But the good thing about Comp Cams break-in fluid is how sticky it is. You can assemble an engine and - even after a month or so in hot weather - when comes time for break-in, the parts will still have a good coating on them.

This Lucas additive is what I was warned to stay away from. Was told on multiple occasions that it's no good. I guess a couple different guys here used it in their dirt track cars and their motors locked up. Pulled the oil pans and found it set up like jello. Take it for what it's worth. Don't know how true it is but think I will just hold out for the comp cams additive.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
This Lucas additive is what I was warned to stay away from. Was told on multiple occasions that it's no good. I guess a couple different guys here used it in their dirt track cars and their motors locked up. Pulled the oil pans and found it set up like jello. Take it for what it's worth. Don't know how true it is but think I will just hold out for the comp cams additive.

Did they use it as an additive or as an oil replacement? Seems a bit excessive if it set up like that. And no, I have no experience there, just an observation.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did they use it as an additive or as an oil replacement? Seems a bit excessive if it set up like that. And no, I have no experience there, just an observation.

I have no idea. Just not going to take any chances. I love Lucas products, but that's not the first time I was told not to use it. Just going to play it safe with the comp cam additive. I run casterol in all my other vehicles. Will this additive be fine with casterol gtx?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Way I see it is comp makes cams... and they must have made the break- in oil to prevent from their cams failing upon the engines first critical run time. I can deff see Locus gelin up as that stuff is thick as molasses.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I have no idea. Just not going to take any chances. I love Lucas products, but that's not the first time I was told not to use it. Just going to play it safe with the comp cam additive. I run casterol in all my other vehicles. Will this additive be fine with casterol gtx?

If you're asking me if they will work together, I don't have an answer for you. I know there are those who swear by Lucas products. I know there are others who swear that a good oil is all you need. I am not an expert and offer no opinion on the combination. Lucas overall has a good reputation so for them to provide a product that behaves the way you described is a bit surprising to me. For the effect you described it sounds more like someone thought that if a little is good than more is better. Lucas products tend to be thick so if you use too much...Thick is what you get.

From what I hear here, I would go with the Comp Cam stuff they were talking about earlier.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
you are going to prime the oil pump once you get the oil right?

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yea. We have a priming tool made out of a gutted dizzy.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
good deal.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Somebody wrote this and it sounds like a damn good idea:

Just a little trick I learned back in the Nam:

A couple of years ago I was trying to pre-prime an engine prior to break in. It was about this time of year and the garage was probably 10 degrees F. I had the priming distributor chucked up in a 1/2 Milwaukee Hole Shooter and it was a struggle to even hold the drill motor - never mind get oil flow up to the rockers.

I took a couple of contractor flood lights, set them on milk crates so they were right up near the oil pan, turned them on and walked away for the night.

Next AM - still just as cold in the garage. But when I cranked up the drill - what a difference! I could hold the drill handle with one hand, the gauge I had screwed into the top oil port immediately shot up to 45 psi and oil was gushing out of the tops of the push rods within a minute.

Since then I always use heat lamps or flood lights (even in warm weather) to pre-heat the oil in the sump (it usually gets up to about 120 F). I figure that way, it is getting to every far corner of the system - much more effectively than if the oil is cold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26