Engine block Paint ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 c10 o skool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
I used aircraft stripper. You can buy this at any auto store and or walmart. Like 7/8 dollars per can, if I can remember correctly.

Spray it on and let sit for 10 mins or so. I then got a wire wheel on my drill and went at it. I also used a angle grinder jus change out the disc to a wire wheel. Hold on to it cuz it will jerk on you!

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
cool! hopefully within the next few weeks ill have my 350 out and getting it down to metal. I have the transmission out now. how many coats did you use? did you clear it?

84 c10 o skool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
If your gonna go the route i went. You're gonna have to buy the POR-15 along with the metal ready and degresser.
Follow the instructions. Pretty easy.
When i painted the block I used a paint brush. And I applied (2) coats of the por-15. The brush strokes will fade away. No clear coat needed.
You can buy other color than the BLK.
Be sure to wear long sleeves and gloves cuz that crap takes days to come off your skin!!

Any other questions jus let me know.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Oh ok. I never even thought about brushing it on, I planned to just use the high heat block paint by VHT in a spray can. Yours came out great! Ill have to look more into it. Thanks for the tips.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Well I learned something new today! Thanks for sharing the tip about POR. I always used VHT paint. The next time I will be using the POR though.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well I learned something new today! Thanks for sharing the tip about POR. I always used VHT paint. The next time I will be using the POR though.

How was the finish using VHT?

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
How was the finish using VHT?

It was ok but not porcelain smooth. I never put a coat of clear on it either. I just spray bombed it. The timing chain cover was smooth along with oil pan. I put several coats on the block as well as the water pump and balancer.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It was ok but not porcelain smooth. I never put a coat of clear on it either. I just spray bombed it. The timing chain cover was smooth along with oil pan. I put several coats on the block as well as the water pump and balancer.

Sounds good. Does it hold up good with engine heat and other fluids over time?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It holds up well to the heat developed by a standard SBC. Don't let anyone tell you it can't handle the heat of an engine block. It is rated for 450F.

The only place I have ever had it burn/bubble/flake on me is on the intake manifold at the exhaust gas inlet on the LH side:

You must be registered for see images attach

To avoid this problem, use Mr. Gasket 5820 intake gaskets. This style of intake gasket has the exhaust gas cross-over inlet and outlet blocked off:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Sounds good. Does it hold up good with engine heat and other fluids over time?

I had to laugh at this question because I just repainted the engine. It was still in the truck. I built the engine in 1991. The truck has sat out every day of its life with the hood closed. Now having said that- the oil pan, balancer, timing chain cover were still orange but the block was rust. So I can confidently say that it does not hold up for 23 years out in the weather! LOL.. Your results may vary. Especially if you keep it inside. :)

I will say this- the engine looks good now though! It is a pretty orange with new chrome edelbrock tall valve covers and chrome edelbrock air cleaner. You can't go wrong with that combo in my opinion.:)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice work there

Sent from the *******

84 c10 o skool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Good deal. I also used the por-15 to paint the frame on the inside of the engine bay. Por-15 has engine enamel for the engine and por-15 for the frame and other parts.

I was re-doing the entire engine bay before i send the truck out for paint. But, I got tired and wanted it done. So, I sent the truck off to the body shop to re paint the entire inside of the engine bay (compartment). It had a a rust hole or two, thats gonna get cut out and replaced with new metal.
Truck showed be ready this weekend or next. gonna be oringinal paint color scheme.

Here;s pics of the frame that I did.

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 122
  • F5.jpg
    F5.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 108

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Looks good, you got to put some finished pics up when it gets back. So you were brushing all that to? I plan to to the entire bay also. I just am no sure how to attack the few rust holes in the firewall.

84 c10 o skool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Sure will.

Yea, brushed all of it. that por-15 dries harder than a rock!!!

If you wanna do it right, have them cut it cut and replace with new metal.
Not sure how "bondo" will hold up. I jus basically said if im gonna do it, im gonna go it right and not have to worry about it every again.

I got fender wells powder coated along with intake manifold, pulley brackets, alt. bracket, and other various parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C30vet