Engine bay help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harrisso1

Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 5.7
Whats up guys, I am the owner of a 1982 C10 with 383 swap. It was a hack job, though it runs decent there are wires and plugged vacuum hoses everywhere. Can anyone give me a run down of whats needed? The smog stuff is all disabled. holley carb, vortec 1 belt set up, and comp canister vac can, HEI Distributor. Help please it looks like crap, by wires i mean harnesses that are no longer plugged.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
take puics of it all and post, it's the easiest way.

short run down for vacuum lines...

one big one IF you have power brakes to the booster, one big one for pcv in the valve cover if you have that setup still.

1 smaller for trans modulator IF you have a th350 or th400, one small one for vac. adv. on the distributor. If you have a vac. can for brakes then line would be 1 big one off the carb or intake to it and one out of it to the brakes, if it's the charcoal can up front which is stock then it's just a line from it to the carb to vent excess fumes/pressure from the fuel tank.

harrisso1

Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 5.7
Pictures

Thankss man, and because of my cam I have to use a comp canister, I have already purchased it.
here are the pics, baby bro mechanic sucks (lol) doesnt really have the attention to detail down yet.
Truck
You must be registered for see images attach

My engine when i did it personally

Plug hanging on passenger side. 2 black and 1 orange i think?? plus other random snipped wires.

Why is a heater hose looped into my water pump? is this necessary? if so i will get the proper fitting.

red and white wire with 2 prong connection drivers side.

big vac hose and 5 wire connection on drivers side.

3 green wires coming from passenger side. and vac hose. Engine is now black because of the over spray when i asked him to paint firewall thats why.

these 2 weird plugs were behind my brake booster

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm really at a loss on a lot of those I don't think I've seen most of them.

My old man has an 84 now and had an 86 we removed emissions crap and went with simple carb'd stuff and headers, I don't remember most of those ever.

Now that one by the dist. on the PS I bet is the ESC for the dist. which looks like you no longer have. The factory 84 and up for sure maybe even 82 like yours had an electronica spark control dist. and a simple computer for it, had a big plug like that. I know my old mans still has it.

Is there anything on the truck that doesn';t work right now? any lights? wipers, washer, flashers, any gauges in dash that do not work?

harrisso1

Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 5.7
everything works, this is an A/C truck but i no longer have AC. I would like to have in future. car drives. Any idea on the heather hose?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I never seen a water pump with dual ports before. Now I've seen guys run one from the intake to the water pump to bypass the heater, but never like yours.

harrisso1

Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 5.7
I never seen a water pump with dual ports before. Now I've seen guys run one from the intake to the water pump to bypass the heater, but never like yours.

The water pump is a vortec water pump. The intake is also a vortec intake for centerbolt head/valve covers.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That 2nd pic with the snipped wires, I do believe is to the ESC Electronic Spark Control. You can snip some of those wires and twist them together on the dizzy, then the ICM will work just like a NON ESC dizzy and it appears that's what someone may have done. If all you have is ESC, I woudn't be to concerned with it. All it really did was allowed for advanced timing, and if the motor pinged, it retarted the timing within the ICM. So that means the knock sensor in the passenger side of the block is not needed either.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not all center bolt heads are vortec just so you know.

anything 87 and up is pretty much center bolt, tbi and vortec which came in around 96.

I think everything would bolt up the same bracket wise, so with that said they seem cheap I think I'd just replace the water pump with a tbi one, both being serptine setup should both be reverse flow.

harrisso1

Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 5.7
not all center bolt heads are vortec just so you know.

anything 87 and up is pretty much center bolt, tbi and vortec which came in around 96.

I think everything would bolt up the same bracket wise, so with that said they seem cheap I think I'd just replace the water pump with a tbi one, both being serptine setup should both be reverse flow.

Yes I knew that. These are RHS Vortec heads. Orig I had a 95 Engine block with non cortec centerbolt heads, im still using the valve covers for now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04