Emmisions Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
True. Metro ATL get's federal dollars based on their compliance with Emissions testing. As far as I'm concerned....TRUE emissions testing is what they do on my truck--stick the sniffer in the tailpipe. Plugging in to the computer to find out I failed because I've got a back knock sensor is not indication that my car is polluting.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
True. Metro ATL get's federal dollars based on their compliance with Emissions testing. As far as I'm concerned....TRUE emissions testing is what they do on my truck--stick the sniffer in the tailpipe. Plugging in to the computer to find out I failed because I've got a back knock sensor is not indication that my car is polluting.

Exactly, because they really don't care about the actual emissions!! If that was what they REALLY were concerned with, they would simply not go about it this way.

Global warming emission for example, if they were REALLY worried about it, cars would be the LAST thing they'd worry about since they account for only 14% of total greenhouse emissions. 1st thing they'd do, if they REALLY were concerned about this stuff, they'd run our grid on nuke power right now. Like immediately, and take out 40% without even having to force anyone to do anything, since the power companies would LOVE to be allowed to switch over.

If electricity were as cheap as it could be with nuke power, you'd see every industrial application where electric heat could be used would switch to that almost immediately, without any law, legislation or force needed whatsoever!

This would take care of another 20%.

And then you'd see people's home heat, and hot water heat switch to electric, and that would take care of another 10%..

All without any need to inconvenience anyone, force anyone, or make any laws to do, and make MUCH greater difference in air quality, and CO emission.

BUT, this doesn't allow THEM to siphon $$$ from it, doesn't give them a legacy, allow them to make a law with their name on it to champion, and doesn't keep thousands of federal agents employed looking for ways to fine and extract even more $$ from non complyers.

$$$$$$$$$ That is all this crap is about. We could be driving open headers exhaust cars and no emissions equipment whatsoever and not make a big difference, and they could force us all to drive electric scooters and not make a big difference, but they'd rather do that because they can get some "mordida".

Disgusting really.

proddy2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 3500 dually
Engine Size
350/sm465/d70hd
ahhhhh im glad im exempt now:) but yes i agree it realy is a scam war on drugs war on emisions same goal different revenue stream thats all

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
This is kind of off-topic but it's something I always wondered about. They want to close coal-fired power plants due to coal being a fossil fuel that will eventually run out. Isn't the radioactive material, uranium, plutonium, etc, mined out of the ground as well? Couldn't you say one day our earthly supply of it will eventually run out? I'm sure they get more bang for their buck (lol) with nuclear power, dont know how long the material lasts but I'm sure a lot longer than a ton of coal.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
They want to close all the coal power plants because they are not owned by GE of whom is giving huge ass kickbacks to the politicians yet pays ZERO in taxes.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You Virgininans and West Virginians would have unemployment go thru the roof if coal mining was stopped. Its all political ********. Who fuggin who, and whose paying off who. Bottomline.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
This is kind of off-topic but it's something I always wondered about. They want to close coal-fired power plants due to coal being a fossil fuel that will eventually run out. Isn't the radioactive material, uranium, plutonium, etc, mined out of the ground as well? Couldn't you say one day our earthly supply of it will eventually run out? I'm sure they get more bang for their buck (lol) with nuclear power, dont know how long the material lasts but I'm sure a lot longer than a ton of coal.

If one were to use 3 stage breeder reactors, (prototypes have been made, but no one is allowed to build them in the US, and elsewhere, they frown on it, because of weaponization possibility) where you start with Uranium, then it becomes Plutonium, which can be run again, and then becomes, I believe deuterium, not sure on that one, and that is used in the medical field, currently they have to EXPEND energy to CREATE this, for the medical field, whereas, in that case, it would be a byproduct, and the beauty of it is Deuterium only has a half life of 200 years, not millions like Uranium/plutonium which is what the REAL issue with nuclear power is, how to store the waste for millions of years without contamination. Basically this issue though is moot because of these more modern reactors.

Most of the reactors online now were designed in the 1940's, stuff they could build today (If they were allowed to) would be many times more efficient, safer, and produce pretty much ZERO waste, much like the coal plants which could be modernized, but since the EPA won't allow new ones to be built, they will sit there with the old ones. Again, the gas refineries, not one has been built since the 1970's, all of our shortages are due to refining capacity, not availability of oil. These shortages people speak of are artificial.

There's even evidence that old oil wells are filling back up, if it's a fossil fuel, that will be gone some day, why do we keep finding more and more, and why do old wells that have been sucked dry keep having oil found in them (conspiracies abound about the feds forcing people to cap them purposely so they don't find out that they fill back up later)..

HRPC is very right about it being $$$ and control. Basically, if they can move everyone into a city, and force them to all ride the bus or the train, they can also control where and when they go..

CONTROL.. Bottom line.

Check out the CANDU reactor, the Canadians built, they actually have been taking old spent Uranium rods, and reusing them in this reactor, basically everyone wins, older nuke plants get rid of some waste, they have a pretty much free source of fuel, and the end product is less dangerous than what they began with.

As for running out of nuclear fuel, well, yes that is possible, but you must remember that our sun is one big nuclear reaction, it will eventually run out of fuel, but not for a few hundred million years give or take..

HOLY runon sentences batman!!! I am only leaving them like this so you all can see the stream of consciousness my thinking bursts in... Wow.. Somehow I make sense of it all in my head...

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
They shut down 2 oil refineries here. And the price of fuel keeps dropping, **** don't make sense to me. Is demand dropping? Is the northwestern US oil rush or threat pushing it down? Wtf is going on? Hahahah.

:shitsweak:

proddy2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 3500 dually
Engine Size
350/sm465/d70hd
it makes me mad as hell to think about how much i could drive my truck if gas cost wasnt so outrageously inflated its prety rediculous

proddy2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 3500 dually
Engine Size
350/sm465/d70hd
i cant find the site again but iv read that back in the 80's smokey built a 4 banger with carb and turbo that made somewhere around 250-300 hp and hot like 40mpg it was supposed to go into the s10 but they nixed it and went fuel injection because it was "more efficient" i truely believe that fi is a huge scam myself but im shure others dissagree... bottom line you wont see me run it

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
Anything older than 1975 is exempt... oh, and diesel engines are exempt all the way around..

Some guys have bought squares that came factory with diesel engines, and just threw gas engines in 'em. The DMV doesn't know the wiser, because the VIN will always state it's a diesel.

I'm also pretty sure you can legally run a newer engine and ECU set-up from anything close to what you have.... say... like a TBI 350 from a early 90's 'burb or blazer, but you have to take it down to the 'referee' I was saying earlier, and if it's a clean, legit upgrade/install, they'll sign it off as whatever year the engine came out of, and stick a bar code on somewhere that can be scanned by the smog tech.. So if I were to do that in my 84.. it would legally be smogged as if it were a 90 Blazer.. and the emmision reg's would change to that year, sometimes less restricted.

Diesels are NOT exempt in Cali anymore.... I don't remember what year models they start testing them but they DO test them now....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Diesels are NOT exempt in Cali anymore.... I don't remember what year models they start testing them but they DO test them now....

They only test the later model ones. The older ones are still exempt aren't they? I do believe the cut off year was 1996, so 95 and older are still exempt IIRC.

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
They only test the later model ones. The older ones are still exempt aren't they? I do believe the cut off year was 1996, so 95 and older are still exempt IIRC.

Could be... Like I said, I don't remember the cut off year...

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Christian, I really enjoy reading your post. This entire green movement makes me want to pull my hair out.

I worked in a big coal fired generating station for about 4-5 years right out of highschool. Electricity was in high enough demand they built a 3rd unit and I left after they had the 4th unit about 1/4 of the way done. My dad is a straight up tree hugger, I love him but we have argued about this. We NEED big Poluting coal fired power plants because everyone needs to run their air conditioners all summer and charge their Ipods and think they are saving the world by driving a piece of **** hybrid car.

Just like you mentioned, the only clean solution is building nuclear plants and its hard to imagine that happening any time soon considering this company spent the money to basically double the size of their already enormous power plant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky