Emissions issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
@CRM & @RecklessWOT & everyone else. Wa St ended all emissions testing Jan 1 2020. However I've heard rumors that a much more stringent program could be coming anytime. Expected to be similar to Oregon's system. If that were to happen we'd be testing everything 1975 and newer with no wavers. But would Pasco be apart of it, or would it just the Puget sound and Spokane? Who knows, will it ever happen? who knows, I'm starting to think not, but who knows? I'd just say if a guy around here decides to strip it, hang on to the parts because it'll be hard to find later on if it becomes required.
Not Oregon... only Portland. I have zero emissions testing here in Salem.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
@CRM & @RecklessWOT & everyone else. Wa St ended all emissions testing Jan 1 2020. However I've heard rumors that a much more stringent program could be coming anytime. Expected to be similar to Oregon's system. If that were to happen we'd be testing everything 1975 and newer with no wavers. But would Pasco be apart of it, or would it just the Puget sound and Spokane? Who knows, will it ever happen? who knows, I'm starting to think not, but who knows? I'd just say if a guy around here decides to strip it, hang on to the parts because it'll be hard to find later on if it becomes required.
Definitely keep it if you strip it. My dad removed everything from his '79. Rightfully so, as the county we lived in didn't test anymore. I sold the truck to my brother, who then moved to NV to an area that also doesn't test. He contacted me a while back asking if I wanted to buy it back. I told him I would like to have the truck back, but since our other brother tossed everything in the landfill when dad passed away, there is noway I could ever get it to pass emissions here. Moral of the story, don't live in a heavily populated area that requires testing, or, if you remove the stuff keep it in case you need to reinstall it for whatever reason, or to sell it to someone that can use it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
it would be far better and more efficient for the purpose of the environment to police corporate dumping of waste especially on water bodies than policing an increasingly shrinking amount of vehicles on the road (old vehicles)
It would be better for the environment for people to run a 1975 gmc instead of buying a 2022 Ford e-truck, a 2022 cybertruck, a 2022 hybrid anything, any 2022 truck, really, and that would remain true for years. (Assuming the 75 gmc had its factory eqipment which wasnt much)

Emissions checking, after a certain point, is just a tax on the people contributing the least to the problem.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Here's one for all of you. My 85 K20 doesn't have a cat and doubt it ever did [no fuel fill restrictors]. However, my other truck an 81 K20 has a cat and always did, with restrictors. Both are 350, auto, without floater rear ends. So, neither was high GVW. Bought the 81 new.

Haven't put a cat on the 85 because I use it to burn end of season boat and AV gas. It likes the AV gas.
Like I said I thought the last of the no cat C/K 20 trucks ended around 80'. So it's gotta be somewhat unusual. But I wonder why. I mean I understand the GVW break, but as you indicated both those trucks are in the same class. I image we'll never get an answer though....

I also wonder how that might be tied to leaded gas. Perhaps that 85 was meant to be sold somewhere or for a use and for whatever reason it was expected to be fed leaded gas. Maybe for a farm or forestry IDK I'm just speculating.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Not Oregon... only Portland. I have zero emissions testing here in Salem.
Your right the way I said it was misleading. I should have clarified that. I'm pretty sure Medford has to test as well possibly Eugene? I use to have a friend in Medford but lost contact a number of years ago.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
it would be far better and more efficient for the purpose of the environment to police corporate dumping of waste especially on water bodies than policing an increasingly shrinking amount of vehicles on the road (old vehicles)
It would be better for the environment for people to run a 1975 gmc instead of buying a 2022 Ford e-truck, a 2022 cybertruck, a 2022 hybrid anything, any 2022 truck, really, and that would remain true for years. (Assuming the 75 gmc had its factory eqipment which wasnt much)

Emissions checking, after a certain point, is just a tax on the people contributing the least to the problem.
You got to keep in mind, for like Portland and Medford, DEQ rolled out their smog program in the 80's (Eric @Bextreme04 can correct me if I'm wrong) I believe it was rolled out in 85' and they simply went back 10 years and held that though all these years. Remember most emission testing is just that, to reduce smog not any thing else....

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
tell them commie bstrds to come take it... I'd just keep running it if I were in that position...

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Like I said I thought the last of the no cat C/K 20 trucks ended around 80'. So it's gotta be somewhat unusual. But I wonder why. I mean I understand the GVW break, but as you indicated both those trucks are in the same class. I image we'll never get an answer though....

I also wonder how that might be tied to leaded gas. Perhaps that 85 was meant to be sold somewhere or for a use and for whatever reason it was expected to be fed leaded gas. Maybe for a farm or forestry IDK I'm just speculating.
The 85 is stored at another location. Going to check for unleaded stickers and unleaded on the fuel gauge and check the GVW. Have owned that one for 15 years so who knows what was done previous. Only history I know about was that it was seized [along with several other vehicles] in a drug bust. Bought at an auction.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The 85 is stored at another location. Going to check for unleaded stickers and unleaded on the fuel gauge and check the GVW. Have owned that one for 15 years so who knows what was done previous. Only history I know about was that it was seized [along with several other vehicles] in a drug bust. Bought at an auction.
I'd be interested in that as well.

Royal Sierra 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
15 GMC Royal Sierra
Engine Size
In Arizona if you get Classic Car insurance you don't have to smog a vehicle 25 years or older smog tested Some areas in AZ never had a smog test. I bought a 1976 GMC C15 with a 454 was from Ca. Had a smog pump but not Cat. Called my smog guy in CA to see if it came with a cat. Not on this truck.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Our area had an emissions program until a couple years ago. Not being a tree hugger it's hard for me to admit testing actually helped. Spokane is in a hole surrounded by hills and mountains. Many days a year the area would get inversions and trap the air at the surface. The air got bad during those times.

They only went back 25 years so older cars were exempt, however if it did need testing and inspection, it better be clean, and every emission component better be on it. Those items included the air cleaner, hot air tubes, complete exhaust, EGR all of it.

Cars are cleaner today, and actually it was the EPA who requested the program be canceled.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd be interested in that as well.
Looked at the other truck. It's hard to say if it was originally equipped with cat or if a bunch of parts have been changed. GVW 8600, only the right fill door has an unleaded sticker. Tach dash without unleaded on the fuel gauge. No inlet restrictors. No evidence of cat brackets.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Looked at the other truck. It's hard to say if it was originally equipped with cat or if a bunch of parts have been changed. GVW 8600, only the right fill door has an unleaded sticker. Tach dash without unleaded on the fuel gauge. No inlet restrictors. No evidence of cat brackets.
You must be registered for see images attach

Original fuel gauge? Mine has a gas pump but it would say UNLEADED FUEL ONLY if it had cats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat