electric fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saltypanfry

Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hello all needing some advice on putting on a electric fuel pump to a quadrajet 4 barrel carb. My new 350 is a later block so it does not have the hole for the rod to run a mechanical fuel pump. Is there anything I should know on what kind is the best and maybe all other info associated with it. Thanks and godbless

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
2 tips, for a carb, you'll only want about 3 - 6 lbs of fuel pressure, so get a pump in that pressure range and/or use a regulator. Always mount an electric fuel pump as close to the tank as possible.

Something like this should do the job. Just an example. I've never used this one, so I don't know how well it works of if it's dependable. You might ask around about a good one that someone has used before.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p60430/overview/

saltypanfry

Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok thanks very much you think ill have to reset anything on my carb like the high low jets? And would the best way to wire it is in to my ignition?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok thanks very much you think ill have to reset anything on my carb like the high low jets? And would the best way to wire it is in to my ignition?

No, the carb should be fine if you get a pump at or around 6lb max. If the pump is to strong, use an inline regulator between the pump and carb.

As far as wiring, yes, I'd wire it to the RUN position of your ignition switch power to activate a relay and even have a hidden toggle switch inline too so you have the ability to shut it off as a theft deterent. It'll start up if your carb bowl didn't drain back, but they won't get far if that switch is off and they're assuming it has a manual pump but doesn't. They'll only make it a mile or so before the carb is out of gas and end up parking it and running.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Good idea , built in old school , on star , theft stopper

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good idea , built in old school , on star , theft stopper

I got the idea many years ago from a buddy who did it. By the time he woke up to his truck starting in the driveway and he got his pants on and out the door, he gave chase with a baseball bat in his wife's car knowing they wouldn't get far. His wife called the cops as he ran out the door and told them of the direction he went. I think the cops showed up in time to save the theif's life, but he did leave in an ambulance. He made it about 4 blocks away. No denying he had the right guy when he's in your truck, and the intent to steal it was obvious when it left his house.

saltypanfry

Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks so much for the help first time ive messed with a late model block so trying to get it all figured out god bless

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
No, the carb should be fine if you get a pump at or around 6lb max. If the pump is to strong, use an inline regulator between the pump and carb.

As far as wiring, yes, I'd wire it to the RUN position of your ignition switch power to activate a relay and even have a hidden toggle switch inline too so you have the ability to shut it off as a theft deterent. It'll start up if your carb bowl didn't drain back, but they won't get far if that switch is off and they're assuming it has a manual pump but doesn't. They'll only make it a mile or so before the carb is out of gas and end up parking it and running.

Could use the method I'm gonna use and put a reed switch for an alarm system somewhere inline and mount it behind plastic on the dash and you gotta put a magnet up to it to start the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000