E brake issue K30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

td87

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350 TBI
Im having an issue with my e braje in my 85 K30. The e brake always worked mint until yesterday when I drove like 7 miles not realizing the driver side e brake was still engaged because it was smoking :eek:. Im pretty sure its the cable from the driverside rear drum to the union, just wanted to see if anyone has ever seen an issue like this

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I drove like 7 miles not realizing the driver side e brake was still engaged

The shoes on both sides were probably making contact with the drums - not just the driver's side.

You don't really state what the "issue" is, but we'll take a guess.

Let's assume you mean that the e-brakes will no longer hold the truck (i.e keep it from rolling away if you leave the transmission in neutral with the parking brake applied - and on a hill).

During the driving with e-brakes applied incident, you may have worn the rear brake shoes. Enough so that they can no longer make contact with the surface of the drums even when the parking brake pedal is cranked down.

You probably didn't burn too much away - they just need to be adjusted out.

You can try the automatic way;

While going pretty fast in reverse, vigorously apply the brakes. Do this several times and then check the e-brake to see if it makes contact. If it seems to be helping, do the auto adjust method a few more times till the shoe/drum gap is at the proper distance.

Or you can manually move the pads out by the star adjuster -it's faster. The star wheel is accessible through the rear slots in the backing plate.There may be a rubber plug, if so pop it out and the star should be visible.

Use a screwdriver to roll the star wheel up (as viewed from the back side of the plate). This increases the length of the adjusting screw which moves the shoes outward. Don't overdo it - it will have the same affect as driving with the e-brake engaged. Adjust the shoes outward until there is only the slightest resistance to rolling the wheel (with the tire). If you go to far, rotate the star in the downwards direction.

Some images that may be helpful:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
depending on the condition of your cables you could have a cable that does not release due to rust or dirt over the years

td87

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yea the cable going to the driver side rear drum was not releasing. Replaced it and now is all better

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks for reporting back, good job.