Dual Thrush or Dual Cherry Bombs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigAl285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
383 S.B.C
I've had purple hornies, cherry bombs. They all sounded similar. I had a oarnge pair can't remember the brand but those where junk in a year but this was many years ago too. I like the flowmaster series 40, thats what I'm running now, it has a big rumble / wraps out good too but I'm have some horsepower goin through them

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
When i start working on the monte again, im gonna get a set of the header back purple hornys.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
I should have mentioned, those $10 glasspacks were in the late 90's, those stores closed in '00 or '01. I didn't realize it had been that long.

Oh :bawl: If I thought I could get a pair for that cheap I would have been stoked...more money for other little things that I'd like to order (marker lenses, dome light cover and LED's for the gauge cluster)

I was leaning heavily towards the purple hornies because they bolt straight to the headers... but crawled underneath my truck and remembered that stock headers don't have that mounting bracket. I think I'm going to go for a pair of Thrush. It looks like I can steal a pair off Amazon for about 40-50 shipped, That should leave me with enough $$$ to get an Edelbrock Aircleaner, and maybe some polished exhaust tips or Edelbrock Valve Covers.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Is it still generally accepted notion that the longer the glasspack the lower the tone?

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Usually I have found the longer they are the quieter they are

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
i imagine that without cats any of them would still be pretty loud. i guess I'll just go for the model that is medium length and a 2 inch through pipe since my inlets and outlets are 2 1/4, and hope for a good sound

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
The bigger the diameter the deeper the sound, the longer the muffler the quieter the tone. 2 1/4 should be fairly deep and you could always go to a 3 or 4 inch tip to get it a little deeper.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Longer they are, the less snaple crackle you get, also the closer you place them to your manifold/header the more the snapp crackle pop will be pronounced. You place the packs further back, you will have more rumble, less crackle.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I have 2" pipe with the glasspacks just under the cab/bed gap, and it cackles Pretty good :) .

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Most glasspacks (called cherry bombs around here, no matter what the brand as long as they are red) are all about the same as far as durability and sound. Even the $10 ones they used to sell at Quality Farm & Fleet. I've never had a single one rust out. The welded type mufflers do rust out, even the Flowmaster brand. Except my Hooker Aerochambers, they seem to be holding up as well as any glasspack.

Some will refer to Glasspacks as "Cherry Bombs", Just like they call all Arc Joint Pliers - "Channelocks", and all String Trimmers - "Weed Eaters", But doesn't mean it's right. :insane: Just Sayin...

I never have liked glasspacks. Quiet or Loud. They're a great way to "Cheap Out" and get something legal so you can drive it, but past that, I'd go with a muffler. Take your pick, Thrush, Dynaflow, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, whatever you like.

In the race days, a couple guys did have the glasspacks with the Header collector flange on it, just to bolt to the header and be street legal. But 6 bolts later, it was uncorked and racing w open headers. Didn't even need to use hangers for them.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Straight pipes, inch and seven eights, straight out past the rear bumper.
You wont hear it much, but, watch out behind. LOLOLOL
1 & 7/8ths gives it that nice crisp "Rap".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Squarebody322