Dual Tanks Vs Single 40 Gallon Tank For 8.1l Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Yeah its cheaper, less components to go out, one tank to fill, adds traction to the rear wheels which will help me in the winter. I think the only cons is/are possibly hitting the rear differential and when the one pump goes you're screwed but I'll probably setup a backup pump just in case.

It is fewer components to go out...however, when that single pump goes out, you are stranded. Dual tank setup will still have another operable tank to get you home.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Oops, site is being janky/slow. Double posted

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Kiss method
You must be registered for see images attach

Gilderbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
It is fewer components to go out...however, when that single pump goes out, you are stranded. Dual tank setup will still have another operable tank to get you home.

Yeah id most likely install a backup pump so I could limp it somewhere.

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
When I did the 8.1 in my 84 Dually I went with 87 tanks from lmc truck. Installed 87 wiring harness and hangers with walbro pumps. Corvette filter/regulator and one pressure line to the engine. Blocked off the return line at the rail. Also new switching valve. Worked good for the last few years except the filter would drop fuel pressure. Truck being painted and i think I will install a return line and use the factory regulator. thought about installing a Suburban tank but the filler tube is the problem. Use my bed and don't want the filler in the bed. Have a thread on the swap if you would like to see what I did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54