Dual steering stabilizers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
No, it could be described as the 5 foot long tie rod. MOST know it more as a drag link when technically it's not at all. I've even heard it called a relay bar and didn't even know WTH they were talking about.
I never heard it called a drag link and at first I thought you didn't know what you were talking about haha

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Drag link always connects to the steering box, even on crossover steering, easiest way to remember.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Drag link always connects to the steering box, even on crossover steering, easiest way to remember.

In the alignment shop I worked at, it was referred to everyone just like common knowledge as a drag link, being the long portion that connects the tie rods into 1 piece with adjusters on either or each end.

I'd always known a Pitman arm to connect to the steering box.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
In the alignment shop I worked at, it was referred to everyone just like common knowledge as a drag link, being the long portion that connects the tie rods into 1 piece with adjusters on either or each end.

I'd always known a Pitman arm to connect to the steering box.

Drag link always connects the steering arm to the steering box (or pitman arm to be more exact). In some cases, the drag link attaches to the tie rod because there is no steering arm. The tie rods connect to two wheels together and no matter how long one of them might be, it's still a tie rod.

In most IFS setups, whether it's 2x4 or 4x4, the center link takes place of the drag link. The center link attaches between the tie rods on each side and hooks to the pitman arm (and idler arm).

There are also several goofy setups that are a combo of everything. Like '00 or so Chevy vans. They have a pitman arm that moves a drag link, that attaches to a centerlink with an idler arm on each side. Each side of the centerlink also attaches to the inner and outer tie rods on each side.

All in all, there's a ton of different setups and it's hard to nail down an exact definition of each part's name. But in the case of an old 4x4 Chevy, that big bar that connects both wheels is a left tie rod, a right tie rod, and an adjusting sleeve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666