dual exhaust or dual with headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgc4160

Reaction score
First Name
kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
so was just wondering whos running just dual exhaust and how does it sound.. trying to decide if i just want to go with dual exhaust by its self or go with headers to.. 81 with a 305..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
With a stock engine, the sound mostly is decided by the catalytic converter and the muffler. There are benefits to headers, but those by themselves don't make much difference in sound.

kgc4160

Reaction score
First Name
kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
right now every thing is stock.. 2 into 1 with a cat.. stock manifolds.. no smog pump no a/c.. was looking at lmc and they have a complete bolt on kit with either dual exhaust system with turbo mufflers or glass packs for 210 to 250 depending on choice of packs/mufflers..

Ronno6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you are running an automatic there are many headers to choose from.
If you have a manual tranny w/mechanical linkage, your choices are fewer.
FYI....

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you are running an automatic there are many headers to choose from.
If you have a manual tranny w/mechanical linkage, your choices are fewer.
FYI....

NV4500, Juice clutch, headers, duals. Boom done.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
My truck has Hedman headers w/ flowmasters, dumps behind rear wheel wells out to the sides. Collectors back 2.5" tube. Drivers side window down, 65mph in OD, the left bank exhaust is predominate. Not a fan of the sound.

Had a 99 C2500 quad cab short bed w/350 Vortec stock exhaust two into one 90 series Flowmaster, 2.25" inlets & 2.5" outlet, out the rider side ahead of rear wheel and it sounded perfect. Throaty, sweet rumble at idle, and all business in passing gear. Loved it.

I don't remember the 76 BBC square I owned (76-81) sounding like this one. (my 79)

Bottom line:
I'd go headers, make the muffler the virual "ypipe". Two large inlets and one out large as possible and dump as soon as you can get it pass the cab, front of rear wheel, or 45 to the ground. Through the bed side looks cool to me. Just my two cents.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
There is a video on You Tube that did a heat comparison between ceramic coated headers vs un-coated headers. The ceramic coated headers never exceeded 200 degrees (IIRC) while the un-coated headers exceeded (or approached?) 900 degrees at one point. Tried to find link but couldn't.

IF you decide on headers remember the effect heat has on wiring, spark plug wires and starter.

With a stock engine, the sound mostly is decided by the catalytic converter and the muffler. There are benefits to headers, but those by themselves don't make much difference in sound.

I have to agree with "bucket" on this one.

I recently replaced the exhaust on my '88 with stock components just to keep it original (cat back) but I originally was going to go headers, dual exhaust, "throaty" sounding mufflers cat eliminator pipes but when I added up the costs, decided to just go stock (under $100.) Coated headers and dual exhaust, etc. approached $1K and I didn't want to increase heat soaking the starter and aforementioned problems with un-coated headers.

If you want the right sound you might want to focus on the muffler itself. YMMV.

Also, generally, headers are used to increase HP output. With a 305 (or any stock engine for that matter) I doubt you'll see enough HP gain to offset the disadvantages of headers. Again, Just my Opinion.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmf225