Drove while 2 quarts low on oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Update: Added 2 quarts, oil level is happy and the pressure gauge is back to pegged, but she's now got a dead miss on at least 2 holes. Gonna borrow a compression tester and figure out which ones. Gonna also check under the valve covers while cranking for possible wiped cam lobes.
I'm sorry to hear that, but as you already know cam issue would be most likely I think anyway.

IcePatch

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Fleetside SWB
Engine Size
quick update: took my laser thermometer out and fired her up. Pointed it at the headers as she was idling, #8 was the only one that wasn't heating up. Pulled the plug out and took the below picture. Gonna pull the rest of the plugs and check for additional fouling. I'll put new plugs in and see if she runs better.

This is likely what I heard getting worse on the freeway. As the plug fouled further the miss became more consistent.
You must be registered for see images attach

IcePatch

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Fleetside SWB
Engine Size
Final update:

New plugs installed, she's running just like new again.

Bought a vacuum guage and fiddled with the idle mixture, also need to get my hands on a different vacuum pot since she's only pulling about 13-15 at idle. (Lumpy cam).

Thanks for all the responses and the reassurances. I'm quite thankful that I didn't actually grenade the motor.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I agree with all the other guys that say it's probably fine. I use to have a customer with a Suburban 350 in it and she'd run it out of oil regularly. It's amazing what an otherwise healthy engine will take. No matter how many times I told her she could swing by the shop every few weeks, and that I'd not only check it, but top it off for free she'd never do it. When the oil got low enough for the light to flicker on and the lifters to clatter she'd come by, I'd fill it and idle it till it quieted down. This went on for a few years before she sold the truck.

My 1996 Grand Cherokee. When I bought it, it was a private party sale and the price was right to move quickly. When I went to look at it I pulled the stick and there was no oil on it. On a short test drive the pressure gauge would drop every time I hit the brakes. So what did I do I went and bought 5 quarts or oil, put 3 in the crankcase to bring it up to full, the oil pressure was good, the engine was quiet. So I made an offer, bought the Jeep, and have put about 75K on it since then. Still going strong, and valve gaskets fixed the oil usage.
Do you mean valve cover gaskets or valve guide seals?

IcePatch

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Fleetside SWB
Engine Size
1 year update: It's totally fine.

I changed the oil after this whole fiasco, cut the filter open and it was immaculate with zero metal or nylon shavings. The truck's been running flawlessly and I make SURE to check the oil level at least once a week.
I installed a mechanical oil pressure guage and it's got just under 80 PSI when cold, lowest it gets after heat soaking the engine on a hot day and idling at 650 RPM in gear is 35 PSI, but goes right back up to 60 with any amount of RPM.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
1 year update: It's totally fine.

I changed the oil after this whole fiasco, cut the filter open and it was immaculate with zero metal or nylon shavings. The truck's been running flawlessly and I make SURE to check the oil level at least once a week.
I installed a mechanical oil pressure guage and it's got just under 80 PSI when cold, lowest it gets after heat soaking the engine on a hot day and idling at 650 RPM in gear is 35 PSI, but goes right back up to 60 with any amount of RPM.
Thanks for the update and info.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have Vortex scopes on several of my rifles. I think @Rusty Nail meant to say Vortec heads. I know this because he has expressed vile disdain for Vortec heads. But hey, people can change.:angels2:

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lots of stories about the forgiving nature of those old iron motors. They burned oil, leaked oil, and often magically used it without smoking or spotting the driveway. Yet they kept on ticking.
Now try to run a late model Ford eco or GM 4 cylinder low on oil and the timing chains grenade and end the motor's life permanently.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Lots of stories about the forgiving nature of those old iron motors. They burned oil, leaked oil, and often magically used it without smoking or spotting the driveway. Yet they kept on ticking.
Now try to run a late model Ford eco or GM 4 cylinder low on oil and the timing chains grenade and end the motor's life permanently.
My 06 Colorado with a 3.5 straight 5 vibrated the dipstick to death, broke it right off, even the mount. About 60,000 miles before it's death, I didn't care, it had already been burning oil I just started adding when the timing chain started getting clattery I knew the oil was about 2 qts low lol. The oil light would only flash when it was real low under heavy braking.

I got 260,000 miles out of it, I'm pretty sure the timing chain and guides went. Hell I even got 260,000 out of that 4l60e!! Even the transfer case!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128