Double Dingo's 1965 3/4 Ton "Crusty Biscuit"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
No progress on fixing this beast, but on Monday, with a little help from my wife, Crusty got the ugly side facing away from the street. I have towed many vehicles with the old tow bar I acquired after grandpa passed away. One of those you hook to the top and bottom of the old heavy steel bumpers, and run the lower hooks to the frame, tighten it all up and the vehicle will tow pretty well.

Since this was a short trip around the block, and slow speeds of 10 to 15 mph tops, I didn't tighten the attachments to the frame, just used the top and bottom bumper hooks. I had a feeling this flimsy after market bumper I got from LMC would not survive, but I really didn't care. Good thing I didn't care, because I was right, it bent.

It bent right as soon as we went off the driveway into the street. It didn't help that my wife was holding the steering wheel so the front tires couldn't track on the turns. I told her to let the wheels track, but they turned and locked, to turn them back straight. I should have just used bungie cords, but it was a learning experience for her.

Trying to make the first turn in the street so we could go straight to the next side street, the jeep was going sideways. The more I tried to turn right, the more the a$$ end went left. This has never happened. I got out and looked at the setup, yeah the bumper was bent, but the hooks were still hooked, so I checked for tightness, and tightened what was loose. Immediately upon us having to stop in the middle of the street, one guy stops southbound offering to help, and another stops northbound offering help. Knowing we didn't need a bunch of chiefs to figure it out, I told them to go ahead after thanking them for stopping.

Honestly, if they had tried to help, I think it would have just gone downhill from there.

I tried again, jeep kept going left as I turned right. I got out again, perplexed, and then saw the front tires pointing straight. I cranked the wheels to the right, started going forward in the jeep, and it tracked like it should. Until the next turn. Me not knowing why the wheels weren't tracking, I was motioning to my wife to turn the steering wheel. But she could barely see me because of the windshield being so dirty.

Got to the next turn and I again motioned for her to turn the wheel with the turn, and it tracked better. I then stopped, checked the hooks again, everything was out of whack, but we were half way through, so I just went, but told her she needs to turn the wheel when we turn.

Going into the driveway was just as bad as coming out onto the street. The jeep is going left, I am trying to turn right, and it's not going where it should.

I get out and turn the wheels as I can see the rear tires of the jeep are being turned under, if you will, because of the tremendous amount of side pressure on the tow bar transferring through the hitch. It took a few tried going forward and backward to get it to where I could finally loosen the hooks.

With Crusty facing towards the house, I can begin tearing off the damaged sheet metal, and assess more of the damage from the wreck. If everything checks out, I will replace what needs replaced, and get it running with the crappy v8 in there now. That would allow me to drive it while I do the other stuff to it, and also allow me to move it around more freely for doing other projects.

Once I start back on this I'll post the carnage as I remove stuff. It'll piss me off all over again to see it, but it needs to be done.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
I was going to use the 81 for this tow around the block, but I have towed another 65 C20 with the jeep and this tow bar before, so I knew it was doable. I later asked my wife if she holding the wheel, and she was. No wonder we were having such a difficult time around the turns...lol...

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I was going to use the 81 for this tow around the block, but I have towed another 65 C20 with the jeep and this tow bar before, so I knew it was doable. I later asked my wife if she holding the wheel, and she was. No wonder we were having such a difficult time around the turns...lol...
Yeah you have to (counter steer) it's fun lol

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
When we first moved to Illinois I was driving the 84 burb with 6.2 in it. I started it after school and started home it died on the way home and wouldn't start again. My dad came to get me in the F350. We hooked up a tow strap and he pulled me home. Just when we got into the neighborhood we got pulled over by a cop.

He asked what are you guys doing? My dad said towing the truck home. He told my dad they don't allow tow straps to be used. You have to use a tow dolly or a tow service. My dad said what that not how we do it in Texas. He didn't give us a ticket because we didn't know but I always thought that was dumb. Lol

The gas had froze in the fuel lines because we still had some in the tank from the trip up. And it was really cold. That's another reason I don't live up north. Too much bs to worry about. Bit when we put some fuel in from Illinois we didn't have a problem anymore. Got lucky it was able to start with new fuel.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah you have to (counter steer) it's fun lol
Actually if using an actual tow bar, she needs to leave the wheel alone and just let it do it's thing. Reason being, it's going to track and turn exactly like the front driver is turning, just maybe a milisecond later depending on how fast your going. It'll look like it's turning at the exact same time. I have one of those old chain bumper type tow bars that you used to be able to rent at rental yards. I remember we paid like $225 for that thing back in the late 80's or early 90's. Not the safest thing to use if not hooked up right, but I sure used and would still use it today on my squares.

In fact, let me find a pic of that. I know I have one or two from squares I've towed home when I had like 9 of them in my backyard and the city got on my azz about it. Phuckers !!! I said what I said !!!
You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Actually if using an actual tow bar, she needs to leave the wheel alone and just let it do it's thing. Reason being, it's going to track and turn exactly like the front driver is turning, just maybe a milisecond later depending on how fast your going. It'll look like it's turning at the exact same time. I have one of those old chain bumper type tow bars that you used to be able to rent at rental yards. I remember we paid like $225 for that thing back in the late 80's or early 90's. Not the safest thing to use if not hooked up right, but I sure used and would still use it today on my squares.

In fact, let me find a pic of that. I know I have one or two from squares I've towed home when I had like 9 of them in my backyard and the city got on my azz about it. Phuckers !!! I said what I said !!!
You must be registered for see images attach
Exactly! Heck, I towed Mean Green with mine, loaded up with stuff that wouldn't fit in the uhaul. About every 40 miles I'd pull over to check the tightness of the chains, adjust accordingly and roll on.

In this case, I couldn't figure out why it wasn't turning, it's not power steering nor does it have a locking column. Yeah, she was keeping the wheels straight...lol...

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Exactly! Heck, I towed Mean Green with mine, loaded up with stuff that wouldn't fit in the uhaul. About every 40 miles I'd pull over to check the tightness of the chains, adjust accordingly and roll on.

In this case, I couldn't figure out why it wasn't turning, it's not power steering nor does it have a locking column. Yeah, she was keeping the wheels straight...lol...
Yeah, that'll cause some problems. I bet she was fighting the hell outta that steering wheel wondering WTH is going on here??? She was probably scared Shitless too.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, that'll cause some problems. I bet she was fighting the hell outta that steering wheel wondering WTH is going on here??? She was probably scared Shitless too.
I just asked her, she wasn't afraid, but was stressed, and equally confused as to what was going on. But, she admit to holding the steering wheel.

I told her she was supposed to sit there and only correct it if wheels locked to the right. I wrote that and it sounds bad. Sit there woman! Not like that at all. I told her if she kept her hands off the wheel, it would have been easy to see if the wheels locked to the right, because the steering wheel would have turned really fast and then stopped, and then the tires would squeal.

As of now, she has had two towing firsts. Being in the tow vehicle to tow Crusty Biscuit home with a tow strap. And that time she was freaking out but did great. And this time where she was in Crusty as it was being towed.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Have had my Bride driving the tow rig every time........she HATES it....but she will do it. She is actually getting pretty good at it. The towed rig that I am in always has the window down with me giving some hand instructions..ie hand down =slow down etc.........and no, not "those" kind of hand instructions @CoggedBelt75 !!!!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just asked her, she wasn't afraid, but was stressed, and equally confused as to what was going on. But, she admit to holding the steering wheel.

I told her she was supposed to sit there and only correct it if wheels locked to the right. I wrote that and it sounds bad. Sit there woman! Not like that at all. I told her if she kept her hands off the wheel, it would have been easy to see if the wheels locked to the right, because the steering wheel would have turned really fast and then stopped, and then the tires would squeal.

As of now, she has had two towing firsts. Being in the tow vehicle to tow Crusty Biscuit home with a tow strap. And that time she was freaking out but did great. And this time where she was in Crusty as it was being towed.
Yep Yep Yep, You're 100% correct. Mine did the same thing occasionally. The wheel spun real fast the wrong direction, and there you go, now the whole show is bound up and you're going nowhere. I always wondered how that happend. I think I figured it out one time, by leaving the lower chains that went to the control arms OFF and just used the chains to the bumper on top and bottow so I know it had a good grip on the bumper. OH I remember now, I just left the lower control arm chains LOOSE to only be used as safety chains and not holding the bar at all. But yeah, I hated when that happend.

I only had a person in the towed vehicle one time. It was a 3/4 ton biggo tires truck and loaded with concrete in the back. Loaded Heavy !!! It was a manual brakes older truck, no power brakes, so I had them ride in it for that added steering wheel control like you mention, so leave your hands OFF the wheel totally and let it do it's thing. Only time you need to grab it, is if goes wild the wrong way and binds up, or the vehicle breaks away, then grab the wheel and control it best you can, but your main purpose is to leave the steering wheel alone, and watch my brake lights and help me stop a little bit, meaning, I want the weight pushing me to keep the bar tight, but not all that weight, so lightly help me out a little and don't be trying to stop me or pulling us apart. It worked out great since I had good guy in the truck that understood the whole concept of what we were doing. That tow bar saved me tons and tons of money. And I still have it to this day. I just might be using it to tow my 68 C50 dump truck out to my property. Still on the fence about it and not even considering that until the weather warms up like Mid March cuz if something goes wrong, I'm not dealing with it out in the cold with my ailments.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Have had my Bride driving the tow rig every time........she HATES it....but she will do it. She is actually getting pretty good at it. The towed rig that I am in always has the window down with me giving some hand instructions..ie hand down =slow down etc.........and no, not "those" kind of hand instructions @CoggedBelt75 !!!!!
:rolleyes: Why Perry...I woulda never thought what you thought I would think. BUT...since you put the thought in my head now...:D;):cool:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yesterday, while I was looking for the JCOffroad link in my bookmarks, I had forgotten about the link I had saved before it, for Ruff Stuff Specialties. They have a kit to convert an HO52/HO72 axle to disc brakes. I had bought the 14FF rear brakes from ebay a while back, but I am going to contact this company and see if they still make or have them. The most recent review is from 2023, so that is promising. I really don't want rear disc, but it would be so much easier to do brake jobs in the future. We'll see what they say.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Rear disk is a cool mod But how often do you really have to do rear brakes on the ol girl? I only seem to do my own every 7-10 years lol. But I don't drive as much as others and use the brakes as much being Manual helps with that allot.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Rear disk is a cool mod But how often do you really have to do rear brakes on the ol girl? I only seem to do my own every 7-10 years lol. But I don't drive as much as others and use the brakes as much being Manual helps with that allot.
Shoot, I drive my Jeep all the time, and those brakes were done about 18 years ago. I bought the replacement parts to redo them a few years ago, and there was still a lot of material left, so I kept the parts for a later replacement. It would be similar on Crusty, but sourcing brake parts for an HO52/HO72 is getting more difficult. Even the bearings are special order now from what I've seen. Yes, they are some of the toughest axles ever made, but eventually brake drums wear out, and once those are done, the axle is too, unless one can find drums or do the disc swap. I have the means locally to have the shoe relined, but the drums are not being made anymore. Well, if they are, it's chinesium and I don't want that.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I emailed Ruff Stuff, and they do have the kits, just waiting for calipers to arrive so they sell the kits again. That works out well, I don't have the money right now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88