Double DIN head unit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I say cut downwards some into the lower curve, and then use a little 16 gauge steel to build a new lower curved piece that cuts back in under it, You can use a good set of mallets and shaping bag to beat a curve into the corner that way you wont stab yourself with a square edge every time you go to shift the transfer case. Love the truck, just needs a little interior TLC!!

boneheaddoctor

Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There is enough room under the heater controls to get it in on the flat part of the lower dash..but you will have to cut away that part of the bezel as it doesn't go low enough. No pictures yet but I'm in the final stages of this with a double DIN.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I was going to say you can probably trim to the left a little and modify the bezel some to make some extra space without having to go out of the normal confines of the dash curvature. I just know I have thought about it but at the end of the day my issue with double dins is many of them no longer have a volume knob and I am a fan of just having it available to turn the volume down quickly. To me if it is easier than finding a pause or mute button without having to look down or take your eyes off the road.

boneheaddoctor

Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
In my case mine was hacked almost 2 decades ago for a single DIN, so much metalwork would have been needed to shift it left at all in my case. Second issue is at least the Double din I have requires an external bezel and even with a mounting kit...you won't have one. I made a mount out of heavy guage sheet angle to mount the radio to, painted that wrinkle black.. and it will allow me to screw that face of it into the dash with black sheet metal screws. so would remain presentable if not win any best at show awards. I wanted streaming options, like Pandora and spotify that didn't require pulling out the manual to find.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I know mine's been hacked too but I figure I'd just get some 14 gauge steel and do something similar to what you are doing as well. I've been toying with the idea of using one of the Android Double dins they seem far more capable than anything the more popular aftermarket stereo makers are really up to yet, plus there are a ton of things you can do to customize your input's and vehicle functions. I know in my case it's interesting because I'd like to incorporate using the Torque app since I am doing the LS swap, but also keeping my gauges oem. Be nice to have a little display of the tach but not having it eye level does kind of take away from the usability. Lot's of idea's to toss around though, right now I just finally pulled the wiring harness back out so I can get to patching my floorboard and then putting down the heat and noise liner.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Another option is a single or 1.5 DIN that has a fold out screen. Check out Sublime's build thread. He has one with a backup camera and other modern features. It keeps you from having to do more body work since your dash is already set up for a single DIN.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I had one like that in my Ram that was a single Din made by Clarion. It's a shame a bunch of his pictures are X'd out. Looks like there was some additional stuff too see on that build.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Send him a message and ask him to update the links. His truck is on a couple different sites so he seems to keep stuff documented well.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
meh...

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I know mine's been hacked too but I figure I'd just get some 14 gauge steel and do something similar to what you are doing as well. I've been toying with the idea of using one of the Android Double dins they seem far more capable than anything the more popular aftermarket stereo makers are really up to yet, plus there are a ton of things you can do to customize your input's and vehicle functions. I know in my case it's interesting because I'd like to incorporate using the Torque app since I am doing the LS swap, but also keeping my gauges oem. Be nice to have a little display of the tach but not having it eye level does kind of take away from the usability. Lot's of idea's to toss around though, right now I just finally pulled the wiring harness back out so I can get to patching my floorboard and then putting down the heat and noise liner.

Been reading through this thread and saw you mention the android double dins. I'm looking at buying a commuter car and of course have to do audio. I came across some of these and liked the idea in principal. I'm just weary on the absolute no name box of wires i'm gonna stick into my car. The ability to have torque opened up and monitoring is really appealing, plus always current mapping with gmaps or waze. In a square body though, its too far out of sight IMO. My wife also wants to be able to watch youtube (we commute together, 120 miles round trip)

On a side note I'm waiting on the parts to come in from Amazon this weekend to install a screen casting device to my existing double din setup in my truck.
3.5MM to AV cable
HDMI to AV converter
Belkin Mircast dongle

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The generic component also gives me great pause. Also the fact that a lot of them do not have an XM tuner. Two of the reasons why I am still on the fence for not only my JImmy but for my daily driver (Nissan Frontier).

I suppose I can run the android stuff through my cell phone for data and use the XM app for 6 bucks a month, instead of full price for the tuner subscription. It does have some appeal and considering it will cost less overall for just the app I call that a win.

I usually drive solo so in my case setting up a good viewing angle may actually be more tablet friendly, kind of like a gps mount in the lower left corner of the windshield. I am still a ways off but I think I'd be more happy with that and a standard BT single din head unit, especially considering that initially I will also be using it as a speedometer until I can get all my gauges wired up, lol

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
What's the mic hooked up to? I'm gonna guess yaesu?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey