Double DIN head unit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WyoK30

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
So, I'm working on a total remodel of the interior of my 85 K30 crew cab. The truck is a super low option truck originally. Sold adding a complete power door set and all the plastic trim and headliner from a 90 sub. With all the added wiring, I figure now is a good time to ad a stereo. My goal is to have the truck appear stock to the untrained eye, using mostly stock parts. (NOT necessarily stock to the vehicle, just not aftermarket). I'm about 90%sure I will mount the stereo in the center of the dash where the center a.c. vent is located. Does anyone have info or pics of what problems I may run into, and what to do with the factory radio hole? The previous owner has already cut the dash for a single DIN head unit. Thanks in advance!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I'm not sure how much room is available it the top of the dash to fit the radio, but 91 Suburbans have the larger radio openings. The wood grain is painted and comes off easy if you want the Silverado brushed finish. Second picture are blanks you can buy. They come in matte black, silver or carbon fiber.

http://classicdash.com/product/1984...lete-6-gauge-panel-auto-meter-5-2-116-gauges/http://classicdash.com/product/1984...lete-6-gauge-panel-auto-meter-5-2-116-gauges/
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

WyoK30

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks! That top pic is the same dash I have out of the 90 sub. The woodgraim matches my dash pad and door trim, so I'm keeping it. The stereo hole in those is a 1.5 DIN and not large enough for the one I'm using. I will mount it in the actual dash to the right of the gauges.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
before you get to far into the project take a piece of paper draw a radio and tape it to where you think you want it mounted. Then put your seatbelt on pretend you are driving and reach over to the radio. I had a gmt400 with an aftermarket radio in the center ish of the dash and it was a PITA to change station while driving.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
I don't have that problem. There is only one worthwhile radio station in Tombstone, AZ.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I don't have that problem. There is only one worthwhile radio station in Tombstone, AZ.

ok how about changing to CD, MP3, Pandora, Spotify or volume up and down etc?

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Don't have any of those on my radio, and I don't want them. Being hard of hearing, volume is usually way up.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Might be a sore subject, but is your radio slot alrelady cut out for a 1 din? if so then you should just load in a single din replacement that has BT functionality and then just hard mount a cheapo 7 inch android tablet some place convenient, or with a little creative planning you could even build a bracket that goes under the edge of the bezel, comes out, and attaches to your android tablet holder, You can just set the volume and BT on your radio once and then after that find an app that allows you to enable the car android functions and as long as you set it up to plug into a power source you can cause it to trigger wifi, bt and gps when you take it out or put it in, and then you can conect it to your cell phone, have maps, pandora, spotify, gps maps, iheart, youtube, and whatever other data eater you could imagine. I have a little remote made by satichi that attaches to the steering wheel and it has pause, play, back forward and volume up and down.... Saw it on Soundman's ytube channel and it seemed like a good idea. I use it on the bike to control my BT music while riding. Much easier than taking my hand off the handlebar to fiddle **** with the crap on the sena, which I can't ever remember what it does exccept to turn it on and connect to other people.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I tink I would probably mount my tablet up on the dash in the corner like where people normally mount a GPS now that I think about it.... Just run power and it has clear access to the sky for GPS'ing

WyoK30

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Not a sore subject at all. My dash is already cut, poorly, but it was like that when I bought it. I'm dead set on the double DIN. I want the nav, back up camera, sat radio, blue tooth,all the options a new truck has and all in the stereo package. A 1.5 DIN or a 1 DIN won't work for me on this one. I'm going all out, jump seat console with cup holders, heated seats, power mirrors, locks and Windows. All on a truck that didn't come with any of it. Lol

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I think if you are willing to modify your dash bezel and create a good solid mount you can fit a double din but it's essentially going to be butted right up tot he AC controls and so you might just need to chop up the bezel but if you can use some ABS glue, some ABS pieces, and a little cutting, snipping and grinding, you can make it fit, and at the same time make it look like it belongs. I've contemplated the idea of a double din my own self but I'm so far away from screwing with the dash that I've just not gone out and messed with it at all. I think the key is since you already have a cut up dash, do not be afraid to chop some more. If it gets to be too much you can just rivet or weld in a new piece of steel and start over.

WyoK30

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

WyoK30

Reaction score
First Name