Door vents... wtf?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
1983 K5

what are the vents on the doors suppose to do? mine just pump freezing winter air into my barely warm truck...

how do you close them or at least can someone tell me what their for?

thanks

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
They are there for flow through ventilation. They also provide pressure relief when closing a door. They should only vent air out, not in.

There is a valve on the backside of the door vent that operates like a flapper #30:

You must be registered for see images

Top right:

attachment.php

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Air really shouldn't come in through there, especially if the blower is on. Without them, there's actually pressure in the cab at all times because there is always some amount of air flowing through the HVAC.

I once had an '86 Camaro that I sealed of the door jamb vents because the speakers made them rattle. In the winter time with the heater on, if I rolled the window down and then put it back up, it would not seal properly at the top. The air pressure in the car would push the glass out past the little sealing lip in the weatherstripping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigjump73