Door Striker Adjsutment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is there a by the book, written, step by step to properly adjust these or just on a wing and a prayer?

I am sure worn door seals don't help with this right? Since they don't provide the cushion they did when new, so you are trying to adjust the door to shut tighter? Anybody know where I am coming from here?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Only thing I've done is take a pencil and mark around the washer so you have a reference point to adjust from. try 1/4" in and see if it helps but too much and the door contacts the opening and scuffs the paint off and starts the potential for rust.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's really no adjustment procedure, other than adjusting it so that the door does not need to be slammed and everything lines up when it's closed. It's just trial and error.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Only thing I've done is take a pencil and mark around the washer so you have a reference point to adjust from. try 1/4" in and see if it helps but too much and the door contacts the opening and scuffs the paint off and starts the potential for rust.

I never knew the pex could be forced on in one piece like you said in that other thread, I will try that next and readjust and see how it goes.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It's not easy so dont come back here crying! :lol: Get your man panties on before you start!! :Sumo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I haven't penetrated anything in a few years so I am all built up and ready to punch that thing through, lol!!!!! :shitsweak: :manos:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I haven't penetrated anything in a few years so I am all built up and ready to punch that thing through, lol!!!!! :shitsweak: :manos:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

C&C Chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got a passenger door that I cannot, for the life of me, figure out the adjustment on. I've moved the striker bolt all around and it still hangs up when closing and is hard to open. Door makes no unusual noises when swinging open or shut. Truck has never been wrecked to my knowledge. Door/cab weatherstripping looks like original and a bit flatten out. Could that cause it?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I got a passenger door that I cannot, for the life of me, figure out the adjustment on. I've moved the striker bolt all around and it still hangs up when closing and is hard to open. Door makes no unusual noises when swinging open or shut. Truck has never been wrecked to my knowledge. Door/cab weatherstripping looks like original and a bit flatten out. Could that cause it?

Remove the striker and make sure the door is adjusted to fit the cab opening. If it needs adjusted, do that and then have a go at installing and adjusting the striker. Also, sometimes the striker will need an additional shim or two behind the washer to keep the striker head from getting jammed in the door latch.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Also assuming the latch mechanism itself is not damaged and lubed?

Gettin Faster

Reaction score
First Name
Wavel
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I know this is an old thread. But I found it using the search box and it the people on this thread sound like they may be able to help.

I have a 84 K10 Silverado, while removing the door striker to replace it with a new one with the bushing on it. Whatever the Striker screws in to inside the door jam fell inside ove the jam. (I cannot reach it w/o cutting the jam open. Now the door will not stay closed as it no longer has any thing to grab. I just need some directoin on what to do at this point. My door is held closed with a strap and sits in the drive way. SUcks I just bought it a week ago.

Any and all help is GREATLY!!!! apreciated.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I know this is an old thread. But I found it using the search box and it the people on this thread sound like they may be able to help.

I have a 84 K10 Silverado, while removing the door striker to replace it with a new one with the bushing on it. Whatever the Striker screws in to inside the door jam fell inside ove the jam. (I cannot reach it w/o cutting the jam open. Now the door will not stay closed as it no longer has any thing to grab. I just need some directoin on what to do at this point. My door is held closed with a strap and sits in the drive way. SUcks I just bought it a week ago.

Any and all help is GREATLY!!!! apreciated.

Have you tried accessing it through the 6x9 speaker hole behind the seat near the floor ?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
For future reference only loosen those strikers a smidge and then adjust to desired location and re tighten.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonanza 77