Door panel plastic restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
For dashes there is a cheaper alternative however there is some risk of poor fitment. Available are 'skins' that cover the dash. Much cheaper than a new dash pad, and some fit just fine never revealing what they are... and others, not so good.
I did consider that. This repairs probably a bit farther down the road for me, but I was either going to see if I could find a good one at a junkyard, or fill the cracks on mine and recolor it with something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Joe T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you prep it real good you may have good results.

Personally I would suggest going new and then experimenting on the dash as thats a lot more money

Joe T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For dashes there is a cheaper alternative however there is some risk of poor fitment. Available are 'skins' that cover the dash. Much cheaper than a new dash pad, and some fit just fine never revealing what they are... and others, not so good.

I dont know, depends on the truck and your time. Prefer to just do it once and be done without question. This truck is perfect besides the dash and minor easy clean up.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh definitely. Here's a before and after:
You must be registered for see images attach

The shade is a bit off compared to original, but it looks good. The pockets and pads were never a perfect match to the other panels anyway.

Personally, I'd spray the other door panel too and run with it. If any other panels need sprayed, you will know what to use that matches your door panels.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The shade is a bit off compared to original, but it looks good. The pockets and pads were never a perfect match to the other panels anyway.

Personally, I'd spray the other door panel too and run with it. If any other panels need sprayed, you will know what to use that matches your door panels.
Yeah I think I'll just spray the other one with this paint and leave it like that for a while. The interior is pretty mismatched anyway because like I said most of it is out of a 1980 truck with a darker tan interior, but I think the door panels look good. That buckskin is what my truck must've had before the part swap, but now most of it is darker. Once I get more money I can try and figure out the other color and maybe repaint (or buy new panels). But for now it looks pretty awesome. Especially the armrest and door pulls that i cleaned with bleach. They look brand new.

On that note though, the old armrests have pretty ****** foam underneath. Do you think it would be difficult to replace the foam so it goes back to the original shape?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh definitely. Here's a before and after:

What the hell went wrong with those door speaker cutouts? Only missed it by about a "foot" I'd say...no pun intended.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What the hell went wrong with those door speaker cutouts? Only missed it by about a "foot" I'd say...no pun intended.
What do you mean? The ones on the panel or on the actual door? The ones in the metal were put there by a past owner. He just cut through the carpet that was there and wired speakers. But I took them out because they were blown.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Just don't let them sit in the sun for a year in the truck before gluing it down, warped to ****. Shrunk in the front and expanded in the back..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Just don't let them sit in the sun for a year in the truck before gluing it down, warped to ****. Shrunk in the front and expanded in the back..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
What brand did you use?

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
What brand did you use?

Honestly I have no idea, I want to say coverlay, but that is really just pissing in the wind. It fit good when it was new, but I didn't glue it down until about a year later. I suspect if glued down immediately, it wouldn't pose the same issues I had

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I had the same results . Coverlay, and I didn't glue it either. Now I have a dash mat over it to hide the misformed mess!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk