Door panel decoding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkhll8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
1987 R10 2WD shortbox
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.0 TBI
Can anyone tell me what this means. Changing door locks. These numbers are in the inside of the drivers door panel. My truck is an 87 model
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I don't work for GM but I am an engineer in the auto industry so I can help decode it somewhat based on working for another company.

LH for driver side.
14057322 is probably the part number for the door panel if you ignore the color.
Change 9 probably means it is the 9th revision to the drawing for the part.

P2-3018 ?

All the 14057.... are the color specific part numbers for this door panel.

The grid is month of the year on top, year down the side. Each dot would be the month of production. This is a way to narrow down when the part was molded. By this grid, none were ever made in 1982. Starting in July of 1983 they put a dot in the mold and then made parts that first week. Starting the next week another dot would be put into the mold so that parts made starting that week would have two dots in that month, etc.

So when the mold was made at the tool shop they would put all the nice, neat letters and numbers. Once at the supplier that actually molds the parts all they have to do is use a punch and hammer to indicate month of production.

This is a somewhat crude way of tracking when the parts were made but works well if you start seeing bad parts at the assembly plant. You can at least track down what week the parts were made, compare that to tool maintenance, etc.

It is also interesting to note that for some months either they forgot to add the punch marks or didn't make any parts at all.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's the door panel part numbers for the different colors. I think they used the same mold for all of them. The chart is a sort of date coding. It's a common thing to see on GM's plastic parts.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I am an engineer for GM, and worked on these trucks.

Both of the above posters are correct.

K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64