Door lock is stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Send me your buddy's name! I want him to come over and get mine opened.
I was replacing the window felt strips on a 1976 Chevy K10 and I shut the door to go get something and when I came back the door would not open. I had the door panel removed from the inside and I think maybe that some of the debris from the dry rotted window felt fell into the door mechanism. The lock mechanism seems to be always engaged, even though it is not. It is not the linkage from either the inside door handle or the outside doorhandle button. it is the latch mechanism that keeps the door shut or allows it to open. I can't open the door now Anybody ever have this happen or know how to open a locked door? I really do not want to use the jaws of life to get my door opened! ! H E L P ! ! !

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Okay finally got this resolved. My buddy who can fix anything came down and checked it out and lo and behold... 5 minutes later knew what the problem was. The button inside the new door handle needed to be trimmed down some. Trimmed it and it's fixed.

So now I can put the interior back together! Ha.

WHAT!?

NO PIX!?

A lot of help you are.

tyjon76

Reaction score
First Name
tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Okay finally got this resolved. My buddy who can fix anything came down and checked it out and lo and behold... 5 minutes later knew what the problem was. The button inside the new door handle needed to be trimmed down some. Trimmed it and it's fixed.

So now I can put the interior back together! Ha.
I’m having the same issue currently when the door is open not closed it locks and unlocks fine but when the door is closed and I lock it I have to take the door apart and manually open the latch from inside the door please help

cmichels83

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’m having the same issue currently when the door is open not closed it locks and unlocks fine but when the door is closed and I lock it I have to take the door apart and manually open the latch from inside the door please help
My 83 (in my profile pic) does the same thing on the driver's side. To say it is in poor condition is giving it too much credit. I cut a big circle opening in the door panel so I can crawl in from the passenger side and reach into the door to unlock the driver's door.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My 83 (in my profile pic) does the same thing on the driver's side. To say it is in poor condition is giving it too much credit. I cut a big circle opening in the door panel so I can crawl in from the passenger side and reach into the door to unlock the driver's door.
is the bushing on the door latch good?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Probably not, I should check it out.
The doors like to have the bushing in order for the handle/mechanism/latch to work right, if you have to pull apart the door maybe its just binding because its worn. adjust the door if its sagging too(or fix the sagging) so that it nicel closes to the bushing

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

they sell the bushings at auto stores, online, but you can make them too tthis guy uses pex

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
You could use your phone in video mode with the door panel off to see what the mechanism is doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1