Door lock is stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I recently replaced the door locks (where the key goes in) and the exterior door handles on my truck. Everything worked fine when I tested it. Now I go back a month later after the truck has been sitting with the door unlocked since it was in my garage. I pulled the truck out to work on my car and parked the truck outside and locked both doors. I came back about an hour later and tried to unlock the door on the passenger side.... and it wouldn't open with the key or by pulling the inside knob up.

So after yelling at it for a few minutes :gr_guns: I pulled the door panel off (hard to do with the dang door stuck shut) thinking that I could get it from inside the door. Nope... got nothing. I sprayed some PB blaster on everything in there and still got nothing.

So what the heck happened?? Any clues on what I can do?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did you try pulling the knob up or is it power locks?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I recently replaced the door locks (where the key goes in) and the exterior door handles on my truck. Everything worked fine when I tested it. Now I go back a month later after the truck has been sitting with the door unlocked since it was in my garage. I pulled the truck out to work on my car and parked the truck outside and locked both doors. I came back about an hour later and tried to unlock the door on the passenger side.... and it wouldn't open with the key or by pulling the inside knob up.

So after yelling at it for a few minutes :gr_guns: I pulled the door panel off (hard to do with the dang door stuck shut) thinking that I could get it from inside the door. Nope... got nothing. I sprayed some PB blaster on everything in there and still got nothing.

So what the heck happened?? Any clues on what I can do?

Did you try pulling the knob up or is it power locks?

Reading>you, buddy.

I would pull the lock cylinder and see if it's still stuck.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I disconnected the lock cylinder to see if that was the issue and it still wont work. Wondering if the latch is putting pressure on it keeping it from unlocking

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Chinese knock off aftermarket crap again I bet. You'll probably have to take the key latch out to get them to unlock again.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I ruled the key latch out though... I disconnected it and tried to unlock it and it still wouldnt unlock.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Mine does that. I have to push the outside button in as if I am opening the door, for some reason that disengages something inside the door and I can then use the key to unlock it. And out of curiosity I tried pulling up on the inside knob without first pushing in the outside button, and it wouldn't unlock. Push in the button and it unlocks like it's supposed to.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine does that. I have to push the outside button in as if I am opening the door, for some reason that disengages something inside the door and I can then use the key to unlock it. And out of curiosity I tried pulling up on the inside knob without first pushing in the outside button, and it wouldn't unlock. Push in the button and it unlocks like it's supposed to.

Yes, if the button happens to pop out too far, the door will not unlock. My '88 Burb has had occasional troubles with this since I have had it. I had planed on buying new handles for it someday, so much for that!

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I haven't been back out there, but I'm going to try that tonight. The stupid thing about it is that I changed the handle. I had to put the old pin back in since the new one wouldn't fit, but I don't see how that would have changed anything... the pin just holds it in place.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay I went out today and pushed in the button on the exterior door handle and tried to unlock it, and still got nothing.

So where should I look next? I'm starting to get pissed off with this truck... put so much work into it and I get these stupid problems.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A couple times recently, the Burb's RR door has got stuck locked. IIRC, something in the latch was hanging up because it needed lubed, pulling the inside handle repeatedly (and quickly letting go) freed it up so it could be unlocked. It hasn't done it since then, but I think that's what I did.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
flip the inside door handle a couple times. my wrecker does this once in awhile. also make sure the outside button isn't sticking in some.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay finally got this resolved. My buddy who can fix anything came down and checked it out and lo and behold... 5 minutes later knew what the problem was. The button inside the new door handle needed to be trimmed down some. Trimmed it and it's fixed.

So now I can put the interior back together! Ha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84