Door hinge pins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
How tough are they to replace? And how do I replace them?

Thx

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, after a bit of searching, came across an awesome video for '88+ GM trucks. Appears to be related to my '87 aside from having an actual spring instead of the S spring my truck has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvsIHQJIuxY

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They`re not too bad. if You do`nt have help and there`s wires from door to cab, use a floor crane/cherry picker to hold the door while working on it. a strap around the top window frame and let it hang there while You are removing the old bushings and cleaning things up. be sure to put some good grease, like assembly lube in the new bushings and on the new pins too.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
They`re not too bad. if You do`nt have help and there`s wires from door to cab, use a floor crane/cherry picker to hold the door while working on it. a strap around the top window frame and let it hang there while You are removing the old bushings and cleaning things up. be sure to put some good grease, like assembly lube in the new bushings and on the new pins too.

Not in my truck. I have no power locks/windows. After watching the video, looks like it should be fairly easy and quick. I have my dad to help and a floor jack to support the door.

Will I need to remove the S springs?

Thx!

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
you should be replacing the spring while you are replacing the pins and bushings, they are only $5.....

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
you should be replacing the spring while you are replacing the pins and bushings, they are only $5.....

True, no reason to have to do it twice.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is the spring fairly easy to replace with the pins out? My drivers door is missing the spring and if it's easier to replace with the pins out, that would be a good excuse to do it all at once.

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
Is the spring fairly easy to replace with the pins out? My drivers door is missing the spring and if it's easier to replace with the pins out, that would be a good excuse to do it all at once.

Yes, its pretty easy. Look on YouTube, I remember seeing some videos of how its done.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I know there are at least two different sizes of the S-Spring, be sure to state what year it is for.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I can't find them via AutoZone's website. Anyone know the part#?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Give these a try

Dorman part #703264

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 20046147, 20429500, 38400, 6271989, 9712804, 9721917

I can't seem to find a part # for the spring, but I know LMC and a few other places carry it. Seems like I've seen it at Oreillys before.

Last edited:

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
I just got mine in the mail today, I got mine from classicparts.com. I ordered 4 pin/bushing sets and new left and right hinge springs...$26 total

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, my Dad and I got the driver door done today, mostly. Had to jigsaw the pins out and the bushings had us baffled for a good while. The pin kit includes 2 brass bushings and 2 ribbed bushings. Could not get the ribbed bushings to fit. Used brass through and through. The new pins were also a PIA. Could only get them half way up the ribbed portion under the head. The old pins were really easy to pop out after cutting them. Why in the heck are the new ones such a PIA to seat properly? I have them hammered down far enough to where they shouldn't pop back up.

Anyways, the door functions much better than before. Gonna do the other door in a week or two.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The ribbed bushings are used if the hing holes are out of round and need to be drilled to make them round again. In all the ones I have done using the HELP brand kits, the pin never seats all the way back down like the OEM ones. I did just like you, drive them down until they stop.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The ribbed bushings are used if the hing holes are out of round and need to be drilled to make them round again. In all the ones I have done using the HELP brand kits, the pin never seats all the way back down like the OEM ones. I did just like you, drive them down until they stop.

Ok, that's a relief. I ended up using the non-ribbed brass/copper bushings. Man are those things delicate. I ended up shattering one tapping it into the hole. I guess Chevy/GM never thought those part never needed replacing considering I had to cut the pins. Used a jigsaw with a blade meant for cutting metal to cut the pins.

The door closes better, but doesn't quite line up with the body lines. Prolly need to adjust the hinges better. At least I know how to replace them. Kinda sad it took my Dad and I about 3 hours to 1 door.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1