Don't want to cut the dash & bezel again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86Apache

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Marvin
Truck Year
79 , 86 , 82
Truck Model
C10's ,K20
Engine Size
250 six, 350's
I picked up an 82 K20 that is just about as original as a 36 year old truck can be. However it will be a driver and I gotta have decent tunes.

Retrosound et-al works but I can't help but feel I am paying a lot for less than I can get from a $100 DIN.

Do I have any other options?
Another location for a DIN? -On seat console, or ?

I would kind of like to keep the ash tray functional but perhaps a round marine head unit might fit there?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’ve found that it’s difficult to equate originality with modernity in an older vehicle unless you’re willing to spend money, get creative, or both. What’s in it now? Delco 2700 (big stainless colored buttons, dial indicator)? Have you considered working with it? I mean, there are people out there fixing them to have auxiliary input capacity, and amp the system to where the radio can better interact with modern 4 ohm speakers. I’ve seen modules they install in there that give it Bluetooth and other modern bells and whistles, but I don’t know what that entails. The better sound quality and aux input would be perfect for me, but it all depends on what you want.

Wyttrash

Reaction score
First Name
Owen
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I had no problem cutting my bezel, but I put a CB in that spot. After awhile I wanted tunes so I put a marine amplifier under the dash, mounted inside the cowl beside the glove box. Then I did a bit of bodywork and smoothed the controls into the ash tray. If you want to kee your ash tray you could hide the controls elsewhere, maybe beside the headlight switch, in that pocket beside the gas gauge, somewhere else...?

Kasey 1977 K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I agree the retro sound is a bit pricey but I picked one up and it was well worth it. My dash is still in tact and I have excellent sound. Hands free works well. Bluetooth streaming quality is VERY good. Able to run my 5 channel amp. Running 6.5 and 5.25 pioneer component speakers each with tweets and a set of 10" shallow mount subs. Maybe the best quality sounding ride I've ever owned.

http://chevy.piratesproductions.com/2016/04/ready-for-tunes.html

86Apache

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Marvin
Truck Year
79 , 86 , 82
Truck Model
C10's ,K20
Engine Size
250 six, 350's
I agree the retro sound is a bit pricey but I picked one up and it was well worth it. My dash is still in tact and I have excellent sound. Hands free works well. Bluetooth streaming quality is VERY good. Able to run my 5 channel amp. Running 6.5 and 5.25 pioneer component speakers each with tweets and a set of 10" shallow mount subs. Maybe the best quality sounding ride I've ever owned.

http://chevy.piratesproductions.com/2016/04/ready-for-tunes.html

Do you think it would function well as a stand alone? I don't need to rock the neighbors but I do want to rock the cab.

Bluetooth et-al is useless to me as I still refuse to carry a phone.-call me at the office or house but I would like a thumb drive/card option.

86Apache

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Marvin
Truck Year
79 , 86 , 82
Truck Model
C10's ,K20
Engine Size
250 six, 350's
I’ve found that it’s difficult to equate originality with modernity in an older vehicle unless you’re willing to spend money, get creative, or both. What’s in it now? Delco 2700 (big stainless colored buttons, dial indicator)? Have you considered working with it? I mean, there are people out there fixing them to have auxiliary input capacity, and amp the system to where the radio can better interact with modern 4 ohm speakers. I’ve seen modules they install in there that give it Bluetooth and other modern bells and whistles, but I don’t know what that entails. The better sound quality and aux input would be perfect for me, but it all depends on what you want.

It is the original factory Am. I do have a commercial electronics shop in the neighborhood that also does 2 way radios. I may ask if they would take that on as a project, maybe swap the guts from a DIN into the chassis (?) But I suspect that would get pricey.

86Apache

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Marvin
Truck Year
79 , 86 , 82
Truck Model
C10's ,K20
Engine Size
250 six, 350's
I had no problem cutting my bezel, but I put a CB in that spot. After awhile I wanted tunes so I put a marine amplifier under the dash, mounted inside the cowl beside the glove box. Then I did a bit of bodywork and smoothed the controls into the ash tray. If you want to kee your ash tray you could hide the controls elsewhere, maybe beside the headlight switch, in that pocket beside the gas gauge, somewhere else...?

I have considered something like these marine units, https://www.crutchfield.com/Product...PRV175&compareItems=953MXA1MC&curItem=206KMC2

But placement is still an issue.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a classic car radio that looks like a push button am radio, but when turned on it's digital and works with a phone or ipod. It looks original and sounds awesome. Highly recommended.

Kasey 1977 K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you think it would function well as a stand alone? I don't need to rock the neighbors but I do want to rock the cab.

Bluetooth et-al is useless to me as I still refuse to carry a phone.-call me at the office or house but I would like a thumb drive/card option.

For sound quality it will certainly hold its own. I was at a stereo shop this weekend and he even commented how good they sound. Because there are less buttons it takes a bit to get used to. I find myself forgetting how to get to some of the settings like to change the clock or color. But all in all the retrosound is a solid unit.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads