Dodge rear pinion bearing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
I have a freind that has a 1993 Doge half ton, its a Powerwagon or whatever they call those things. He asked me if I knew how to change a pinion bearing in his rear axle. He said it has a Dana 60 rear axle, so is there a good write up with pictures somewhere and can an average person do this? I've never done anything with pinion bearings in any vehicle before so you guys would know.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It's not something the average guy can do. He would need a press, bearing separator, dial indicator, caliper micrometer, inch-pound torque wrench and an impact capable of at least 450 ft/lbs. Changing the bearings is likely to change the pinion depth by a few thousandths of an inch which can throw off the mesh pattern of the gears. I'm not saying he shouldn't try if he has the stuff to do it with but it's not an easy job.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
It's not something the average guy can do. He would need a press, bearing separator, dial indicator, caliper micrometer, inch-pound torque wrench and an impact capable of at least 450 ft/lbs. Changing the bearings is likely to change the pinion depth by a few thousandths of an inch which can throw off the mesh pattern of the gears. I'm not saying he shouldn't try if he has the stuff to do it with but it's not an easy job.
I knew you needed some specialty tools like that, thanks for the reply I wouldn't want him to mess up his axle badly.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It would be nice to know if it has a crush sleeve or spacer between the bearings. If it's a spacer he might get by with just replacing the outer bearing and setting the preload, assuming the outer bearing is what's wrong. If it's crush sleeve he'll never get the preload set right, unless he is able to get the crush sleeve out of the pumpkin through the pinion shaft hole and replace it with a new one. Once it comes time to crush the sleeve it becomes necessary to remove the carrier though, since the pinion slapping on the ring gear would get damaged while the impact drives the yoke down crushing the sleeve.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
It would be nice to know if it has a crush sleeve or spacer between the bearings. If it's a spacer he might get by with just replacing the outer bearing and setting the preload, assuming the outer bearing is what's wrong. If it's crush sleeve he'll never get the preload set right, unless he is able to get the crush sleeve out of the pumpkin through the pinion shaft hole and replace it with a new one. Once it comes time to crush the sleeve it becomes necessary to remove the carrier though, since the pinion slapping on the ring gear would get damaged while the impact drives the yoke down crushing the sleeve.

Is there an easy way to see whats in there?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Not really. Pull the driveshaft, pull the pinion yoke, rip the seal out...**** you'll get stuck right here trying to get the outer bearing out unless it's already loose, because you have to drive the pinion into the housing a little to break it loose. If you could get the pinion bearing out THEN you could try to get a magnet in there and get the crush sleeve out.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
Not really. Pull the driveshaft, pull the pinion yoke, rip the seal out...**** you'll get stuck right here trying to get the outer bearing out unless it's already loose, because you have to drive the pinion into the housing a little to break it loose. If you could get the pinion bearing out THEN you could try to get a magnet in there and get the crush sleeve out.

With that being said, it will probably be easier to bring it to a rear end shop. I know them precision tools aren't cheap. I wish me and him could do it but I'd hate to see a messed up axle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus