Do I need new door hinges, springs, or pins/bushings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
1980 gmc c25

Hi,

My driver-side door sags pretty bad, still closes but it’s a real pain. A lot of time the little wheel washer things catch on the spring also. When I’m inside the car I can see a very large gap at the top of the door. I’m afraid it’s just going to get worse and I won’t be able to shut it. I was planning to just start with pins/bushings and see how that goes. Thoughts and/or advice? Hard to know if I need to just replace the hinges altogether.

Thank you as always,
Jesse

You must be registered for see images attach

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
To check your hinges slightly open the door and lift up on the latch side. If it moves up and down then your hinges need replaced. The top hing is a bugger cause the third bolt is under the dash through a little hole the washer barely fits through.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My vote also is for new hinges, both upper & lower. I never could understand the thinking on the thru the dash hinge bolt. My '55.1 has that setup for the hood hinges.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
My vote also is for new hinges, both upper & lower. I never could understand the thinking on the thru the dash hinge bolt. My '55.1 has that setup for the hood hinges.
I’ve seen videos of that and think it looks like a pain but doable. Will I really need to remove the fender to do this?

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The fenders can stay on. You'll need a floor jack, short chunk of 2x4 and a helper to steady the unhinged door while installing the replacement hinges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robo