Divorced coil ignition system - What is the correct module connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
The locking tab broke off the 4 pin connector when I had to replace the ignition module on my 1987 V30 today. Looking around I thought it might be a Metri-Pack 280 series 4 pin female. But looking at a Delphi Packard connector catalog the numbers they show for measurements seem too big. Could it be a Metri-Pack 150.2 series connector?

I think this might be the right one:
https://www.customconnectorkits.com/12162190/

You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
When the lock tabs on most connectors break. I've been able to put a nylon wire tie between 2 wires on the female side snap it together run the same wire tie between matching 2 wires on the male side and zip it shut with the zip part where the broken tab is.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
Yes, that would work except that this one goes into the distributor body. I guess I could hog tie it to the distributor but I would rather put a new connector on even though it isn't a show truck.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I only put that up because a lot of people don't know the wire tie broken connector trick.I think most people's go to is 37 wraps in 3 different directions with electrical tape.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
I only put that up because a lot of people don't know the wire tie broken connector trick.I think most people's go to is 37 wraps in 3 different directions with electrical tape.
Too funny :anitoof:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502

My goto is plug it in with a broken connector, and just hope it stays in there, then curse and swear later when im having issues

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
For those who don't know the zip tie on the broken connector trick.Heres an example, I wasn't going outside inn the dark to make an example, so this is a computer connector, but with a little imagination I think everyone will get it. Pull the zip tie tight cut the tail off it and your broken connector will stay together.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
I'm still look'n to see if any of you folks know what the correct connecter is?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
They make 150 and 280 series, in both pull to seat and push to seat styles. If you can post a couple of pics of both ends of the connector I can probably tell what you have.

Other option is going to your nearest auto salvage yard. GM used the same plugs on many different engines and cars, maybe you can find a decent connector and splice it in.

Just don’t use butt connectors!! Three layers of different colored electrical tape applied correctly would be better than uninsulated butt connectors.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
The only butt connectors I use are the adhesive lined ones with low temp solder....but I would rather replace the connector. I have the special crimpers for the pins.

Here is a pic looking into the module. It doesn't have an indexing tab like the 4 pin 150 series has, that's why I think it is 150.2 series.

Last edited:

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
I went ahead and ordered the 150.2 series connector since it only cost a couple of dollars. I'll report back in a week or so when I know if that is the correct one.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
The locking tab broke off the 4 pin connector when I had to replace the ignition module on my 1987 V30 today. Looking around I thought it might be a Metri-Pack 280 series 4 pin female. But looking at a Delphi Packard connector catalog the numbers they show for measurements seem too big. Could it be a Metri-Pack 150.2 series connector?

Check out rockauto.com, I just got a pigtail for my IAC valve connector. They have the coil wire pigtail with both connectors. If your wires are good just de-pin the broken plug and put the new connector on your wires. I did that with my IAC connector.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
Thanks but I already ordered the connectors. Depending on how the wires look I may trim an inch off, they are often corroded near the ends when they are this old.

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker

I don't know if there is a way I can update the first post, but I did get the connectors in today and the one in the original post is for smaller guage wires. Use this link for the one that fits the correct wire guage.
https://www.customconnectorkits.com/12162188/

Here is a pic of it installed in the module.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666