Distributor rebuild or replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
You must be registered for see images attach

Just pulled my distributor because I'm installing new carb and intake manifold. As you can see the distributor needs to be rebuilt or replaced because of corrosion and broken plastic pieces that cover the wire conectectors. There was a piece of plastic that broke off and just laying under the rotor. Rebuild kits cost $85 -89 With 90 day warranty from advanced auto parts.

I was also looking at this one on Amazon for $54 brand new. I can buy a 2 year warranty for $11 with it too. The reviews were good on it too. Just wanted some opinions on this.

Summit has the OEM distributor for $295. I know that's a better product but my budget doesn't include a $300 Distributor. I can do the rebuild kit and would like to keep it OEM. I do like the 2 year warranty for the aftermarket distributor over the 90 day one for the rebuild kit. The one I have just looks like it's seen it's better days. Its not my daily driver so I won't be putting a lot of miles on it. Thanks for any advice y'all can give me.

Last edited:

K10eddie

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would just buy a summit or jegs dizzy and call it a day. You'd get a better coil too.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
What about a reman unit?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
My SS has run a Jeg's brand "Street Fire" ? distributor into the mid 12s since .... 2004? No. After the engine fire .... that was in 2006?:321:.
Seems pritty gud!
(so far:rolleyes:)

I have recently bought THREE of the clear polished jobbies like you pictured. But I guess I only keep buying those because they aren't worth a damn AND look like ****. :oops:

Whatever.:33:
Definitely NOT COOL!

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Re-working with AC Delco & Delphi HEI electrical parts and Moroso or Accel or ... mechanical bits is not any more expensive than the cheap Asian knockoff distributors.
Cheap Chinese electrical parts are usually miserable excuses for parts. Delco and a few others have the resources to ride the manufacturers like a $2 horse so they get a quality product. The Chinese manufacturers then sell the rejects to the second and third tier outfits.
If you use quality internals then you'll have a good working distributor that'll last instead of one made from floor sweepings.
The broken plastic piece is part of the module pigtail. You can buy the AC Delco D221 "radio antenna capactior" (HEI module to coil pigtail and condenser) for $19 on Amazon.

Electrical
  • AC Delco Professional D221 Module pigtail and condenser $15-$20
  • AC Delco Professional D1906 or Delphi DS10071 four terminal Ignition module $20-$35
  • AC Delco Professional D1907X Pickup coil for V8 $40-$45
  • AC Delco Professional D504A Ignition Coil $55-$70
  • MSD 8416 Brass contact Cap & Rotor kit $30-$40. Red MSD equivalent to the no longer made Standard Blue Streak DR450X cap and Standard Blue Streak DR318 rotor.

If you need them...
  • MSD 8402 HEI coil dust cover
  • Standard 6800R Spark plug wire retaining ring
  • AC Delco-1965864 Distributor shaft drive gear washer with tangs (If yours is missing)
  • AC Delco-1977937 Distributor shaft drive gear washer without tangs (If yours is missing)
  • Accel 170072 is a nice foolproof BAT and TACH connector. I'd use one of them if your 40-year-old BAT connector is hammered. You can extract the Packard 56 terminal from the stock BAT connector and the Accel plug and then insert the vehicle wire terminal in the Accel connector. If you don't have a tach just put some heatshrink over the end of the tach wire to cover the open copper end or remove the tach terminal completely from the Accel plug.

Mechanical
  • AC-Delco 456652 Distributor gear spring roll pin.
  • Standard Motor Products DG53 or NAPA Echlin ECH DP110 Grease well felt @ $10
  • AC Delco 1950569 Grease well felt plastic cover ***Obsolete*** If you can't find one and yours is damaged you can likely get away with just using the felt to cover the grease well.
  • Moroso 26140 Distributor gear shim kit around $9
  • Moroso 26150 Distributor body shim kit around $9
  • MrGasket 929G or MSD 8428 advance kit... I usually use springs, E-Clips, and plastic bushings from these kits with the original weights... Usually costs around $10
  • Accel 31035 Adjustable Vaccum Advance Can... Around $15-$20. BTW If your original advance can isn't leaking then don't replace it... You'll usually be better off with the old part.

Axle grease for the grease pocket at the top of the shaft.

Disassemble the distributor. I don't agree with his assessment of aftermarket coils and modules. It might've been true in the 70's but by the 1980's GM did some work on the ignition coil and module. Delco and Delphi electrical parts will be reliable for a long long time. Most of us are not driving race engines at over 5,000 RPM... more like 2,000-4,000.
http://www.rustynutscarclub.com/HEI.htm

DO NOT LOSE the thrust washer on top of the housing bushing between the bushing and the lower half of the mechanical advance mechanism.
Shown here stuck to the pickup tooth above the snap-ring. I've never needed a pickup coil so I'm not sure if the new coil has a snap ring or not. I'd be careful to not lose or damage the original.

If the bushings or shaft are scored, the bushing is worn into or past the snap ring groove, or the lower advance is seized to the shaft, get another core.

Take a picture or write down whether the advance weight ID stamps are up or down.

Clean the hard parts that you'll be re-using.
I usually blast the body with walnut shell after a dunk and scrub in Kerosene using a bottle brush and plastic bristle scrub brush. I leave it for a couple hours in the sun to dry before it goes in the cabinet. Stuff a cork or Kleenex/TP in the shaft holes to protect the bushings and rinse again with kerosene and a bottle brush and plastic bristle scrub brush when you're done.
The advance weight assembly usually cleans up by hand with Scotchbrite, a toothbrush, and kerosene even when it's rusty.
Any varnish will clean right off the shaft with Kerosene and careful scrub with a toothbrush.
I grease the rotor mount bushing with a thin layer of heavy grease on the distributor shaft.
The cam mating gear, thrust washer, and the shims usually just get a rinse in Kerosene and a dip in motor oil. If the thrust washer is missing get a replacement.

Make sure to replace the crusty grease in the wells under the pickup coil with some high temp heavy grease. There should be a plastic grease well cover and a felt ring. I just fill the wells and put the original back if it's not falling apart and nasty. My distributors didn't look likt the one in post 1. For that distributor and ones that look like it... I'd put a brandy new NAPA felt in place.

DO NOT REUSE THE DRIVE GEAR ROLL PIN!!!!. The correct replacement is AC-Delco 456652.

You want the gap between the gear and the distributor body to be 0.015" to 0.020"... closer to 0.015" is better. I usually find the end play to be well out of spec. A wider gap will cause erratic ignition timing. This simple setup check causes a lot more trouble than it's worth if it's skipped.
The shim pak starts with the 1965864 tang washer, then shims, then the gear. Don't put the shims directly against the housing.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I've had distributors ride tight against the oil pump... usually with aftermarket intake manifolds. Shim between the distributor and the intake to lift the distributor body til it doesn't hit the oil pump drive. It's supposed to drive the oil pump not push down on the pump drive rod. Spec is something like 0.030" to 0.040". I usually go with "It doesn't push down against the oil pump drive anymore."

If the heatsink paste included with the module isn't in good shape or there's not enough to coat the whole module and mounting pad I use CPU Heatsink paste. I have a tube of Dow 340 Silicone Heatsink Compound that I used on the PMD on my DS4 Injection pump. The DOW 340 paste works great on HEI ignition modules. 3 oz tubes of SuperLube 98003 Silicone Heatsink paste will work fine and are around $6. Whatever you do DO NOT USE DIELECTRIC GREASE it's not thermally conductive enough.

When you assemble the coil and cap;
  1. Be sure to put di-electric grease on the rubber washer but don't get it on the button or the coil contact... usually a pak is in the package with a new Delco coil.
  2. Be sure the coil screws aren't too long or short to tightly cinch the coil to the cap... these should come in the package with a new Delco coil.
  3. Be sure the stamped ground terminal makes good tight contact with the laminated iron transformer core plates.

More large cap HEI re-building info from the Corvette guys at Super Chevy...
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/1305-how-to-disassemble-a-defective-distributor/

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I wouldnt waste my time with an Accel dist. I have never had or seen anyone have good luck with their parts. Both of the vehicles in my sig have Oreilly autoparts dist. in them, not becuase I believe they are superior products but because they are easily replaced at a local store should one **** on my while away from home (drag week, power tour etc) they also have lifetime warranty and I have not had any trouble with either of them.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I have had trouble using tooth brushes to clean some of small parts with solvent, kerosene, diesel, brake parts cleaner ,etc. I found some almost destruction proof "tooth" brushes at my local Farm Co-operative store back in the fertilizer dept. They have to clean all of the sprayers and the orifices and they have these brushes that defy any spray. About 2 or 3 bucks but they last forever!!

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I wouldnt waste my time with an Accel dist. I have never had or seen anyone have good luck with their parts. Both of the vehicles in my sig have Oreilly autoparts dist. in them, not becuase I believe they are superior products but because they are easily replaced at a local store should one **** on my while away from home (drag week, power tour etc) they also have lifetime warranty and I have not had any trouble with either of them.

Real hard to screw up steel shims and plastic bushings... You can mic em and find out right away.

If you can get a GM advance can then, by all means, get that.
I didn't say that Mallory, Accel, Crane, etc are aftermarket and probably Chinese parts so beware... BEWARE!!!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Real hard to screw up steel shims and plastic bushings... You can mic em and find out right away.

If you can get a GM advance can then, by all means, get that.
I didn't say that Mallory, Accel, Crane, etc are aftermarket and probably Chinese parts so beware... BEWARE!!!

You would think so but the billet accel dist they bought seized during cam break in, luckily the dist was only snug and not locked. Coils have died in less than 1k miles, icms you can google about.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
That's why I stick to GM distributor cores with new AC Delco & Delphi electronics. I still have a box of new 1980's Blue Streak caps and rotors I lucked into for the van.

Not sure how you so completely screw up a simple casting and machining operation but the Chinese are masters at that crap.

I have a Jacobs CDI and controller from the early 1990's on a 1978 G20 van but the 1993 Dr. Jacobs and the 2018 China MSD Jacobs are completely different animals.

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Re-working with AC Delco & Delphi HEI electrical parts and Moroso or Accel or ... mechanical bits is not any more expensive than the cheap Asian knockoff distributors.
Cheap Chinese electrical parts are usually miserable excuses for parts. Delco and a few others have the resources to ride the manufacturers like a $2 horse so they get a quality product. The Chinese manufacturers then sell the rejects to the second and third tier outfits.
If you use quality internals then you'll have a good working distributor that'll last instead of one made from floor sweepings.
The broken plastic piece is part of the module pigtail. You can buy the AC Delco D221 "radio antenna capactior" (HEI module to coil pigtail and condenser) for $19 on Amazon.

Electrical
AC Delco Professional D221 Module pigtail and condenser $15-$20
AC Delco Professional D1906 or Delphi DS10071 four terminal Ignition module $20-$35
AC Delco Professional D1907X Pickup coil for V8 $40-$45
AC Delco Professional D504A Ignition Coil $55-$70
MSD 8416 Brass contact Cap & Rotor kit $30-$40. Red MSD equivalent to the no longer made Standard Blue Streak DR450X cap and Standard Blue Streak DR318 rotor.

Accel 170072 is a nice foolproof BAT and TACH connector. I'd use one of them if your 40 year old BAT connector is hammered. You can extract the Packard 56 terminal from the stock BAT connector and the Accel plug and then insert the vehicle wire terminal in the Accel connector. If you don't have a tach just put some heatshrink over the end of the tach wire to cover the open copper end or remove the tach terminal completely from the Accel plug.

Mechanical
Moroso 26140 Distributor gear shim kit around $9
Moroso 26150 Distributor body shim kit around $9
MrGasket 929G or MSD 8428 advance kit... I usually use springs, E-Clips, and plastic bushings from these kits with the original weights... Usually costs around $10
Accel 31035 Adjustable Vaccum Advance Can... If your original advance can isn't leaking then don't replace it. Around $15-$20

Axle grease for the grease pocket at the top of the shaft.

Disassemble the distributor. I don't agree with his assessment of aftermarket coils and modules. It might've been true in the 70's but by the 1980's GM did some work on the ignition coil and module. Delco and Delphi electrical parts will be reliable for a long long time. Most of us are not driving race engines at over 5,000 RPM... more like 2,000-4,000.
http://www.rustynutscarclub.com/HEI.htm

If the bushings or shaft are damaged, or the advance is seized, get another core.

Take a picture or write down whether the advance weight ID stamps are up or down.

Clean the hard parts that you'll be re-using.
I usually blast the body with walnut shell after a dunk and scrub in Kerosene using a bottle brush and plastic bristle scrub brush. I leave it for a couple hours in the sun to dry before it goes in the cabinet. Stuff a cork or Kleenex/TP in the shaft holes to protect the bushings and rinse again with kerosene and a bottle brush and plastic bristle scrub brush when you're done.
The advance weight assembly usually cleans up by hand with Scotchbrite, a toothbrush, and kerosene even when it's rusty.
Any varnish will clean right off the shaft with Kerosene and careful scrub with a toothbrush.
I grease the rotor mount bushing with a thin layer of heavy grease on the distributor shaft.
The cam mating gear, thrust washer, and the shims usually just get a rinse in Kerosene ad a dip in motor oil.

Make sure to replace the crusty grease in the wells under the pickup coil with some high temp heavy grease. There may be a plastic grease well cover. I don't know where to get replacements for those. I just fill the wells and put the original back if it's not falling apart.

You want the gap between the gear and the distributor body to be 0.015" to 0.020"... closer to 0.015" is better. I usually find the end play to be well out of spec. A wider gap will cause erratic ignition timing. This simple setup issue causes a lot more trouble than it's worth if it's skipped.

I've had distributors ride tight against the oil pump... usually with aftermarket intake manifolds. Shim between the distributor and the intake to lift the distributor body til it doesn't hit the oil pump drive. Spec is something like 0.030" to 0.040". I usually go with "It doesn't hit the oil pump drive anymore."

If the heatsink paste included with the module isn't in good shape or there's not enough to coat the whole module and mounting pad I use CPU Heatsink paste. I have a tube of Dow 340 Silicone Heatsink Compound that I used on the PMD on my DS4 Injection pump. The DOW 340 paste works great on HEI ignition modules. 3 oz tubes of SuperLube 98003 Silicone Heatsink paste are around $6 works just fine. DO NOT USE DIELECTRIC GREASE it's not thermally conductive enough.

Thanks hatzie! That's a lot of good info and well written post. I appreciate you sharing that. I'm probably going to try my hand at rebuilding this one just because I never have before and would like to learn. If I **** it up then I know which ones not to replace it with. Lol

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
have recently bought THREE of the clear polished jobbies like you pictured. But I guess I only keep buying those because they aren't worth a damn AND look like ****. :oops:

Whatever.:33:
Definitely NOT COOL!

That made me think of this after I said I like the warranty for that distributor. Lol

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
No no no... I use the same distributor in three different engines...my bad. That's a fantastic part from White Performance, obviously.

I only pay $45? on eBay.
I don't give money to anazon...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man