Disc brake conversion help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
bending lines is teadious and a headache but in the end is pretty easy. the thought of 4 fronts seems unbalanced and overbuilt in my brain. i swapped the rears on my 70 camaro and the size difference was impressive but they were balanced. im guessing the large size locks up the back pretty easy?

Disc brake conversions on trucks are rarely a good idea in my opinion. If you never plan to tow/ haul; fine, but otherwise it's hard to find a caliper that matches the performance of a drum. I did do a rear conversion on my K5 that had a 14B FF in the rear. In that case, it was a primarily an offroad/ camping vehicle and did not need the giant 40lb 1-2T rated drum and a stock 12" rotor sufficed.

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I've been following a few rear disc conversion threads and have to say thanks to everyone. It has convinced me not to do it and that I'll be happier with the drums. Even if I go as big as a 20" wheel, the fact I won't to towing/hauling or running a monster horsepower engine means the drums will be adequate for my cruising.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've been following a few rear disc conversion threads and have to say thanks to everyone. It has convinced me not to do it and that I'll be happier with the drums. Even if I go as big as a 20" wheel, the fact I won't to towing/hauling or running a monster horsepower engine means the drums will be adequate for my cruising.

If your truck is a 1/2t, you may want to see if you have the heavy duty rear drum brakes. They are, I believe, an 1 inch bigger diameter and 3/8 wider. If you switch to Wilwood D52 calipers up front with good pads/ rotors, and the bigger drums in the rear, you'll have a good set-up at minimal cost.

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I found an old post from 2019 that shows the SPID for either type. However, my SPID sheet lists neither, though I do seem to have several heavy duty chassis parts. Sounds like a question I need to ask @Keith Seymore to get answered being my truck is hours away from me.

You must be registered for see images attach

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
are these a direct swap from another vehicle or an after market kit? I see the 8 lug which i also have so super curious.
My brackets came from a seller on eBay, came with 1991 truck front rotors, Eldorado calipers, and all the hardware required. Was a pretty easy install and works great so far.

geocrasher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
If I had it all to do over again I would rebuild the drums in a heartbeat.
That just solved a question I was going to start a thread for. Thanks for that. Saved me countless hours and a few hundred bucks :D

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Maybe a stock daily driver wouldn’t benefit from rear disc. For instance my 78 C10 had 29” tires and a built 383 with a 12 bolt and stock brakes. Never gave it a 2nd thought. Now, on my K5 lifted and 35s, I rebuild the drums and had them adjusted pretty tight, and still not fun to hit the brakes in the rain. On dry pavement, not too bad other than the Noticeable heavy nose dive and scary steering under hard braking.

With the disc brakes, corvette master and PV4 prop valve, she stops great and under control even pulling a trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128