Dipstick lengths

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Should the length of the dipstick be the same whether it's on the driver or passenger side of the motor?

Thank you.

Brandon

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nope. Besides the dipstick's location, GM made them in different lengths for each depending on the year an application. The dipstick just has to be a match for the tube.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
If I added a larger capacity pan, dipstick should be the same size, right?

I had the stock size for the 350 (5 quarts required) and got a new pan that says it's 1 quart larger, wondering if the dip stick is still accurate.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If I added a larger capacity pan, dipstick should be the same size, right?

I had the stock size for the 350 (5 quarts required) and got a new pan that says it's 1 quart larger, wondering if the dip stick is still accurate.

Lol. Think about it. If the pan isn't larger, then it would be like overfilling a stock capacity pan.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Okay couple more questions: I just put this motor in my truck: http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/10067353/10002/-1?parentProductId=

With it I got a drivers side dipstick tube plug as I wanted to move the dipstick to the passenger side. Well the tubes aren't the same diameter, so I went to the parts store to find one that was the same. Made some adjustments to the tube and used my old dipstick (prob not the best idea but time was seriously of the essence and I needed to get it wrapped up). Per the details of the motor, it is a 4 quart pan. I put 4 quarts of oil in the engine, about 1/2 or so in the filter and about 3/4 (12 ounces) of a bottle of zinc in as well.

What is the TOTAL capacity of the motor so that I can get a proper measurement on my dipstick? Oil pressure has been very good, but don't want to use that as my gauge.

Please go easy on my as I'm still learning about engines.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
A 4 court pan is the stock size for the 350, and the total the engine takes is 5 quarts.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
A 4 court pan is the stock size for the 350, and the total the engine takes is 5 quarts.

I thought so too! So when I change the oil this weekend, I'll put a total of 5 quarts in right? Then I'll measure with the dipstick and adjust the markings if I need too. Thank you.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A little less than 5 quarts if you run the short-body oil filter.

You know the correct dipstick and tube (chrome) can be bought at most parts stores for like 8 dollars, right?

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
A little less than 5 quarts if you run the short-body oil filter.

I have a full size filter. And yes I went there to get the dipstick that I currently have. The issue is that the driver side requires a larger size tube than the passenger side. Hence, I had to find one that was the correct size.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The issue is the driver side requires a larger size tube than the passenger side. Hence, I had to find one that was the correct size.
Don't forget that each side is different -- both tube and dipstick. And passenger side dipsticks and housings changed sometime in the late 80s or early 90s as I recall.

P/Ns below are for GM steel plugs for both sides of the block. They are included with the basic GM Goodwrench crate engine.

passenger side: 9421743
driver side: 14091563

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly