TH350 dipstick tube and dipstick for a TH400???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I got a "Lokar" look alike for a TON cheaper off the interwebs for my Chevy II. Works well. Same one on Kooper's S10 with the 700R4
I forgot to mention you can find off-brand Lokar types on amazon and elsewhere.

I did use their th350 dip sticks. On my c10 I also used their cable throttle hook up to my carb to replace the fixed bar type and their accompanying gas pedal for that setup.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Here's the pics of the two.

They are not similar in way. The bends are somewhat the same but the rotation of the tab that bolts to the bellhousing bolt is not the same.

The 29 uses a barrel seal. The 34 uses an o-ring. No big deal there. The thing that bothers me is the rotation of the tabs and how they are not even close to being the same. Almost 180-out from each another.

You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
More pix...

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
So whatever came of this thread? This thread pertains to what I am dealing with.

I am personally looking for an ORIGINAL dipstick for my TH400 (Olds TH400, should be same as Chevy TH400, both have rubber grommet) in my truck! Everything so far I have come across has complete crap reviews.

My current transmission I just removed (Chevy TH400) and it has an aftermarket chrome pos on it. I just had my Olds TH400 freshly built by a local guy that does this for a living (his work is unreal!).

I want: a locking dipstick, correct length, one that fits into a grommet---no o-rings. Is there anything out there?

Here is the transmission. 1969 Olds 400, built for 550hp, everything is new inside. Short tail added to fit the truck without driveshaft mods. He said when this baby shifts you will know it, he put HD everything inside. He said it will literally take anything I can throw at it. His advice was "run it hard and have some fun". He also said this 1969 case is the one to have, he said it is the year they built them thick, extra webbing and solid as can be.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I am of no help if it pertains to trying various versions. I bought the locking dipstick I mentioned as it was the same length as my original non-locking, and have been rocking that.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Maybe inline tube would be able to direct you in the right direction.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If you can’t find a aftermarket part that checks off all your boxes, make your own!!

It sounds like you already have a good tube with the desired boot style seal for the case. Now you need a dipstick that locks and will give you an accurate reading.

Drop the transmission pan. Install your current dipstick and note where the full line is now. Ideally, the full line needs to be even with the parting line between the transmission case and the oil pan. If not, note where the line actually is.

Next, head to your local junkyard and start pulling dipsticks. Find one close to length you need or just a bit shorter. Insert it into your existing tube, if the line is a little prove the parting line use a tubing cutter to shorten the tube a tiny bit. Check the full line again, and if needed trim a little more.

If the dipstick is too long, carefully drill out the rivet for the handle. Trim the dipstick a little at a time until it reads correctly. Drill a new hole and use a tiny nut and bolt or river to reassemble.

On my sons Project Olds-Camino, I bought a locking dipstick with a boot seal from summit that was sold as a TCI part. I haven’t actually tried it yet so I don’t know how accurate it actually is. All I can say is it fits very well and seems to be well made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL