Diesel Fuel Filter, any difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
When I change over my carb, I plan to stick an inline fuel filter on the line. I have some spare inline filters for my Mercedes diesel, is there any issue with using one of these?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
It will work, but they might not filter down to as small of a micron size that a gas filter will. Diesel fuel systems often use a strainer type inline filter that traps debris larger than 100-150 microns and then the primary filter/H2O separator catches the smaller stuff. A gas filter with a pleated insert can filter down into the 10 micron range. So are your filters pleated inside or are they a fine mesh screen? Either will work but if it's mesh inside they won't trap as much.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It'll stop the big stuff not the fine particles, better off putting a gas filter on it, lower the micron rating the better..

Burban

Bear
Reaction score
First Name
H
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I was more worried about gas dissolving it or somesuch.

I checked the cross reference on it, and it's used on gas and diesel cars, though on diesel it's a prefilter, so hopefully it's OK.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I'm all into saving money but fuel filters are so cheap why not use the right one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus