Diagnosing a bad column?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
350, Vortec Heads, Hi-rise intake, long tube headers, BIG bump stick
Here's the problem... when I turn the steering wheel (left or right doesn't seem to make a difference)... I hear a nasty "crunching / grinding" noise. It "sounds" to be the top end of the column.. sometimes, it will "bind" slightly requiring about twice the effort to over-come the spot and continue turning the wheel, or if I can (not in a hard corner etc), I turn back slightly, it "releases" and can turn freely.

I've checked the rag joint as best as I could myself (have no helper available) and it "appears" to be "ok"... in other words if I turn the shaft by hand from under the hood there IS a very SLIGHT amount of play in the joint, but certainly NOT trashed and nasty looking like I have seem some examples of.

So..my question is... is there any kind of support bearing in the column that could be dry / trashed and how do I check? This is my DD, so if I have to tear into the column at all, I need to order / have parts on hand prior to disassembly.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is it a tilt collumn? Might be best to just replace collumn . That's just my opinion.

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
It is not a tilt column... I'd replace it but used ones are scarce and get a premium up here.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Have you tested the steering after disconnecting the shaft at the rag joint or at the steering box? That eliminates any issues you might have in the front end so you would at least know you're dealing with a bad column and not something else.

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
Finally had a few minutes to start tearing into my column issue and immediately ran into this:

https://vimeo.com/124988830

"Well there's yer problem!"

So... What is that upper joint called and where can I get one?

circuitguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BIG-C
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton Stepside
Engine Size
350 / 5.7
Thats a bad lower column bearing, most likely caused by the failure of the upper bearings. Time to replace all the bearings or the column. Here is a pic of mine with metal shavings everywhere because of the bad bearings. You can fix all like new for $60.00 to $80.00 in parts.

Attachments

• GMC COLLUM (3).jpg
    GMC COLLUM (3).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 80
  • GMC COLLUM (2).jpg
    GMC COLLUM (2).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 81

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've seen a lot of those lower bearings completely fail and the column was still smooth and fairly quiet while turning. I'd also suspect bad upper bearings.

Does the steering wheel feel loose at all? Sometimes people take apart the column for a repair and don't have the tool for installing the lock plate clip. So they put it back together without the clip to hold it all together. It can cause some crunching/grinding noises and may be a very easy fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus