Determining axle ratio question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I have a 87 V10 that came with a tbi 305, 700r, and np208. It now has a carbed 305, th350, and a np205. I can't find any markings or identification on the axle tubes as to what gear ratio the truck came with. I assume that it is original to the truck but I have no proof of that. The truck is rust free for a north eastern truck so it is possible the builder just wanted a stronger driveline and put the np205 and th350 in it.

I have the rpo codes or whatever they are called from inside the glovebox. Will that tell me what it came with? Any other way of telling? I don't want to open the diffs again, pita, smelly and I have good fresh fluid in there that I don't want to try and save and get back in there without making a mess. I will if I have to but its motorcycle season!

I finally got my sunpro tach installed and its revving about 2800 rpms when doing 65 on the highway. The speedo is kind of accurate from what i can tell. Thanks

ps. the engine is from a 84, transmission I'm unsure and the transfer case is 1979.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Of course as soon as I wrote this I found the link I was looking for :mexsmoke:

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
The pics helped because I thought I had cleaned 25 years of grime off the axle housing but there were a couple layers left.

Reads BC3 which is a 3.08 non locking.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thats a good ratio for the highway, but kils your mpg around town. thats close to my 3.42 on my burb with 700r4 hwy cruising.

dietcokedream

Reaction score
First Name
yes
Truck Year
yes
Truck Model
yes
Engine Size
yes
How did you find out? I'm wanting to know what ratio mine are. My front is a ten bolt that I believe came stock with my truck. I swapped in a ten bolt in the rear. that I got a screaming deal on when the 12 bolt I had took a crap. I wanna figure out if both diffs are the same ratio without draining the fluid if possible. The ten bolt came off of a 1984 4wd 1/2 ton Chevy Scottsdale and my truck is an 1985 gmc high Sierra 4wd 1/2 ton

dietcokedream

Reaction score
First Name
yes
Truck Year
yes
Truck Model
yes
Engine Size
yes
Oh wow didn't know about these threads. Awesome. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmritz