Delay wiper switch electrical test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Does anyone in readerland have a pinout or know what wire does what function on 86ish delay wiper switch on the turn signal lever? I’m rebuilding the column and would like to make sure my switch is good before installing it. I have lots of service manuals for GM cars, but the squarebody column switch has a 6th wire. All the GM cars and spare columns have switch’s with 5 wires.
You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Pin A is a brown/white tracer
Pin B is pink
Pin C is purple
Pin D is black
Pin E is gray
Pin F is light blue
Pin G is brown

I assume some combination supplies grounds for the low and high speeds, another pair the resistance for the delay function, and another pair for the washer pump?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Pin A is a brown/white tracer
Pin B is pink
Pin C is purple
Pin D is black
Pin E is gray
Pin F is light blue
Pin G is brown

I assume some combination supplies grounds for the low and high speeds, another pair the resistance for the delay function, and another pair for the washer pump?

Power is supplied directly from the fuse block - and independently of the wiper switch - to both the washer pump and wiper motor (on a pair of WHT 93 leads). All the other leads - except the BRN's - are variously connected to ground as needed via the switch.

An intermittent wiper system has 7 leads coming down from the switch to the module. A standard system has 5 leads. The extra two BRN leads are for the pulse option. They go no further than the module.

And you are correct - twisting the knob on the MFS varies the resistance (which controls the sweep rate) across the two BRN leads. The BRN leads are in the outermost slots of the connector (A & G).

The remaining 5 leads serve the same functions as in a standard system:

Pink - washer pump
Purple - Hi speed motor windings
Black - ground wire from switch to chassis
Gray - Low speed motor windings
Black/Lt Blu - Parking switch

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Ok, that’s a step in the right direction. Do you have any info on how to check the electrical function, specifically what kind of resistance I should see with minimum/maximum delay? Thanks!!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ok, that’s a step in the right direction. Do you have any info on how to check the electrical function, specifically what kind of resistance I should see with minimum/maximum delay? Thanks!!

Ah haha, I knew you were going to ask that. Usually, just verifying a significant change in resistance as the rheostat is stroked from stop to stop, is enough to call it good. But I'll look around - I think somebody might have come up with an actual ohmic value a while ago.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I have a friend who use to run a auto repair shop. Took me about 45 minutes, but I finally figured out what I have. Turns out the steering column, wiper motor, and related parts were from a 89 suburban, not the 85 half ton truck he told me they came from. I printed the wiring diagram and tried it on the bench. I could get low and high, but they would not shut off. I have had lots of experience with things that WONT work, but things that won’t STOP working is a new experience!! Turns out the terminals/contacts for the park switch were corroded. Without the contacts opening, as far as the motor is concerned the wiper arms haven’t reach the park position. A little polishing and sandpaper, bingo, they park and shut off properly.

My next issue, the wipers would not delay. I had low, high, and park, but no delay function. Crap, I figured I was going to have to shell out 160 for a delay wiper switch. Kinda chapped my ass, the guy swore the wipers worked properly. I guess that’s like the engine that “ran when it was pulled, or car drove fine before I parked it” storied. I decided to check the washer function. I connected a test light to power, and touched the test light probe to the pink wire. Suddenly the motor started running, then stopped a few seconds, then started again, etc. Apparently, unless the pulse board sees the resistance of the motor ( or on this case, the test light) in series with the power from the white wire, the delay function won’t work. Anyone in readerland without a washer motor, trying to get the delay to work? Everything works perfectly on the bench. Time to assemble the column for the last time and get some paint on it. It will be nice having it all one color!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris