Dead positrac...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
AHHHHH OK I see!!!! BDS, Superlift or Skyjacker are the better brands. Rough Country, Rugged Trail and Procomp are rougher riding.

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
With 8 inches will i need to extend drive shafts? and by the way thank you for all your help

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
More than likely yes. 6" lift is about as high as you can go without needing the drivelines lengthened. If you have the SM465 an 8" lift may make for a pretty steep front driveshaft angle, since the SM465 is shorter than an auto trans. Mine with 6" lift gave me fits. There are choices though. You can run a 2005 Dodge 2500 front drivshaft which has a steeper running angle than the front shafts on our trucks. Also has bigger u-joints. A lot of this depends on how much hardcore wheelin you plan on doing.

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Because of money i may go with a 6 inch sus and later on a 2 inch body. i have the same transmission as you do but the bds kit comes with a trans drop kit.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
if you go with a 8in suspension lift remember your are gonna have to have custom drive shafts made that get very expensive, and you mentioned running low on money i would just make the truck as reliable as i can you are a couple years younger than me and if your like me you have a heavy foot with all that life and tires you are really going to be on side of the road alot unless you spend lots and lots of money of drivetrain components to handle the added stress

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
that 1984 pickup is gonna have bell end driveshafts like mine does and they cant be lenthend he is gonna have to some built more than likely

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm going with a 6 inch so hopefully i won't need to lengthen anything.

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And i actually wont using this much as i'm leaving for the marines in September so it will sit when i aint home.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
And i actually wont using this much as i'm leaving for the marines in September so it will sit when i aint home.

God bless ya, be safe, and thank you.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was just reading foamy's info on Auburn. I'd have said go Auburn too until today. Now I won't own an Auburn. They are NOT rebuildable, when they wear out, they are an open diff and done, you buy a whole new unit. Foamy is going with an Eaton LSD rebuildalbe and tuneable unit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is that info. Read that link and Exchange Auburn Does for up to 4 years, as if you're going to wear it out within 4 years. And in the top, they admit it's not rebuildable. Learn something new everyday. Thanks to Foamypirate this time.

Yeah, it's kind of a bugger. They do offer an exchange program called D-REX,where they will replace it for 4 years for the price of a "competitors clutch pack replacement," but that's downtime while you wait for it to ship to them, and get a new unit back...

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/d-rex.aspx

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
God bless ya, be safe, and thank you.

Oorah ya'll.

I actally got the auburn installed and just got it back monday...its an auburn posi (i dont remember what model) and the shop who installed it said it had a lifetime warranty but ill ask him about it when i talk to him again.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If it's lifetime warranty, you damn sure can't beat that. Hopefully it's lifetime on wear and manufacture defect, and not one those ******** games, when they get it back they say it's wore out, not defective. But, I've always known Auburns to work very well, and was all about Auburn for an LSD until Foamy pointed this out to me today.

So have you taken the truck out yet and got a little sideways checkin the posi???

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The guy who put it in said its a good one and ill probably never wear it out.

And no i aint cuz i have to get money for a lift kit...so right now everythings on jackstands...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
referrich