Dash Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Im sure a few of you guys have replace the speakers in your dash. What did you use? I am about to replace mine but dont want to cut the dash and use the grill that comes with the aftermarket speaker. I want it hid under the dash pad. Anyone have install picks under the dash pad? I am wanting some two way 3 1/2 just looks like the tweeter will sit up to high to fit under the pad. Any ideas or suggestions?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Mine are shot to **** too. I want to install factory equals front and back.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Good luck!

With any aftermarket speakers it's probably best to hang them from underneath.

Those round 3 1/2 OEM dash speakers and the way they fit in the mounting bracket are one of a kind. As you already know, when fully installed, they are nearly flush with the steel dash frame. Even the slightest raised profile created by aftermarket speakers will prevent the dash from setting back down to it's original height.

A couple of the on-line truck parts sites ( e.g. LMC & Truck and Car Shop) have been selling a pair of dash speakers that they claim mount without interfering with the dash pad. Looks like they hang from underneat as well - there is a big L shaped bracket.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I asked the same question on a couple of forums and never got an answer for a direct drop-in replacement. Bucket said that he has put some 3.5's in without the brackets, and in another truck he installed dual 4" mounted together and placed in the center section of the dash. I thought that was a good idea, you get a better selection when choosing 4" speakers instead of 3.5's.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I asked the same question on a couple of forums and never got an answer for a direct drop-in replacement. Bucket said that he has put some 3.5's in without the brackets, and in another truck he installed dual 4" mounted together and placed in the center section of the dash. I thought that was a good idea, you get a better selection when choosing 4" speakers instead of 3.5's.

Yep, and I have installed 3.5's in the brackets too, but the foam part of the speaker opening needs removed from the underside of the pad. The tweeter is almost right at the metal frame of the pad. They are some old Kickers.

The 3.5's I installed without the brackets were old Infinities. It's been so long I don't remember how close they were to the pad, but they did clear. I think the left speaker cleared the instrument cluster too.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can buy the brackets for 3.5s for kess than $10. And if you buy the speakers from crutchfield, the brackets are free.

Much better than a hackjob install.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
i had 3.5s mounted under dash, the bracket was fine but the tweeter pushed up on the dash pad.... custom mounting would work tho. the right side has depth limitations and the left width limitations... if you dont want to modify the dash pad you are stuck with 3.5s or smaller. just mount them without the brackets and be sure the speakers fit before buying

edit: the 3.5s i had were pyle yellow 3.5s. for 14 bucks per pair they are an excellent deal. they sound good enough for most people and i know theyd fit

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can buy the brackets for 3.5s for kess than $10. And if you buy the speakers from crutchfield, the brackets are free.

Much better than a hackjob install.

The brackets are factory speaker mounting brackets that were OE on trucks with optional front speakers.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
My dash speakers are so shot to **** that they don't even make static sounds anymore. LOL! Being that my dumb azz cut the antenna wire by accident, I have no push to change them yet. The truck was originally ordered w/out a radio, then my pops had Circuit City install all JVC stuff in it. My orig dash pad (what's left of it) has the vent holes in it at the speakers. They are the old school 2-ways, not the kind now with the tweeter on a bracket hanging out above the driver. I figured when I replaced the speakers, I'd have the same problem you're having. I don't want to use the speaker grilles either, but all of the replacement dash pads I've seen omit the speaker vents.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well i got everything ordred for the audio iinstall lastnight.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996 reciever
Kicker KS35 3.5 for the dash
Kicker KS693 6X9 for the cab corners

Got it all from Crutchfield and it came with all the install stuff for free. Stay tuned for install pics

Last edited:

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All Installed

Well I spent the weeking getting thses installed so here are a few pics. I used the stock speaker brackets for the dash and instead of mounting the speaker on top of the bracker like stock I mounted the underneath and used washers to space them down untill it cleared the dash pad. Behind the seat I carpeted the 6X9 brackets and installed them as would fit. These were a pain in the butt. And last the head unit. Everyone knows what's involved in this when going from the stock radio. The instal kit that came with it was great and the wiring harness worked perfect. Crutchfield is the way to go. It comes with everything needed for a clean install and it was free.

You must be registered for see images attach

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Nice work:waytogo:

How's the dash pad fit?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn that is a great job man, love the way the front speakers fit. What did they run ya?

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I haven't put the dash pad on yet but should fit without any issues. I spaced the speakers below the brackets. The speakers were $37.49 free shipping. Came with speaker wire harness and new mounting brackets. I liked the stock ones better because they were stronger.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's a great idea mounting the speakers to the bottom of the brackets! Nice work :happy160:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76