Dana 60 pinion bearing replacement without disassembly ACCOMPLISHED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YellowTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
I have a front Dana 60 differential and I've been scouring forums and searching everything to try and find a way to remove a Dana 60 pinion bearing without taking apart the entire rear end. Everyone has said that you have to remove everything to get to it. That, at least in my situation, was not the case.
I took out the drive shaft and stripped it down so that I could see the outer pinion bearing. Mine didn't have the rollers anymore, but I think this would work if you did have rollers still attached to the bearing. The bearing has a lip on the edge of both ends that you can fit a puller onto. No puller I had would fit inside the case and grab the edge. I went and bought a generic steering wheel puller from O'Reillys for $20 and the fingers were still slightly too big to fit inside the case and grab the bearing. I took a cut off wheel and cut a little bit off of the edges and was able to make it fit. In less than a minute I got the old bearing out so easy.
You must be registered for see images attach

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
That’s pretty cool.I’m sure that info might help someone else.

I do have a question,and am not whatsoever trying to be a smartass,but what about all the bearing material that has cycled through the rest of the assembly?

Also,if that bearing was in that shape,is it time for a overhaul?

YellowTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
That’s pretty cool.I’m sure that info might help someone else.

I do have a question,and am not whatsoever trying to be a smartass,but what about all the bearing material that has cycled through the rest of the assembly?

Also,if that bearing was in that shape,is it time for a overhaul?
I'm going to use a magnet to get out the rest of the bearing material, it is all sitting at the bottom of the casing. I don't have the money to do a complete overhaul and, though it would be the correct way to do it, I don't really use my four wheel drive that much. I'm mainly doing this to sure everything back up. Like I said, it isn't the right way to do this, but it is a decent fix to get me back down the road. I will say that when I looked at the unit, the teeth of the gears were all perfectly fine. You can see the inner bearing through the opening after the outer is removed, and it is also fine as well. Everything turns smoothly in either direction.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
No you did good bud.Figured out a way to get it going!Was just asking,not being critical.

It was actually a smart fix

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota