D30 m1008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SA Fan

Reaction score
First Name
Marius
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Hi folks, I got my hands on 85 M1008 D30 today which I'm very excited about. Unfortunately the diesel motor is gone but the TH400 transmission is present. I also do have a 80 Chevy Blazer which I thoroughly enjoy with 350ci and TH350 transmission. My question is this..What is the drivebility of the D30 compared to something like the Blazer. I don't want to spend too much to get the D30 running only to discover it's a mule. I understand the diff ratios are a lot shorter and I can read all the specs on google but I'd like to have someone's comparison described in words with regards to handling, driving comfort, rpm in final drive, etc. Also I'd like to know if a 350ci will be enough for this truck. Eagerly awaiting any comments.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Imagine your other blazer a touch heavier, with 4.56 gears, and that's what it'll be like.

SA Fan

Reaction score
First Name
Marius
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Any idea what the RPM would be at say 60 compared to the Blazer with 308 ratios. Will a 350ci be enough to pull the extra weight

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A mild 350 will be much better with the 4.56 gears than the original 6.2 was. Even at that, for a daily driver type truck, taller tires would be a good investment. If your '80 K5 is a low option rig, road noise will be roughly the same in the m1008. Handling will be a touch more firm. Shouldn't be anything outrageously different.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Cruise RPM @ 60mph with stock tires should be ~3000rpm. As mentioned a 350 will enjoy this much more than the 6.2 did, and taller tires will help. There are calculators out there to determine how much.

SA Fan

Reaction score
First Name
Marius
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yeah!!!:party36:
Got it running and took it for a spin. I'm head over heals with this truck. Very happy with it. The 350ci runs well in this truck. Somehow the hold down fork of the transmission vacuum modulator fell off resulting in the modulator getting lost and I got stuck without gears in a quarry about 2 miles from home, it was great fun getting it out of there. I've made a list of things in need of attention which I'll tackle one at a time.

I've been driving this truck around now for a few days and experienced a speed wobble on the front the other day. It scared the daylight out of me. The tires are a bit old and cracked which might add to the problem but I suppose the main problem might be the steering dampener and shocks. Any ideas?

I got my hands on a set of 33x12.5 Bridgestones and I'm widening a set of 8J wheels to 10J. I had to grind away a bit of the front calipers to fit the wheels as these are 15's but they fit fine now. Unfortunately here in SA we just don't get the 8stud wheels anymore and it's expensive to import a set from the US due to the exchange rate being 14/1

I'd like to when I do bodywork change the grille to the dual headlight option. I suppose the grille/radiator support was different in some ways. Is this possible or do I need a different support?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31