Custom Hood Ornaments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
got one of them.
mine was used and a little rusty so i sprayed it black to match my truck
You must be registered for see images attach

couldn't bring myself to start chopping holes in my hood, or have some a-hole walk by and rip it off, so i got a super strong earth magnet, drilled a hole in the bottom and epoxied the mag into it.
i can put it anywhere....even my kid has thrown it on the front of his Firebird a couple times.
Sweet! I've thought about buying one of those "rubber ducks" many times, but could never justify the hefty price tag. I've never seen a used one for sale so consider yourself lucky.

Your magnet idea is brilliant! I understand not wanting to cut up your truck, as it looks to be in beautiful condition.

My trucks are less pretty, so I'm not sold on the magnet idea quite yet. Cutting the hood would suck, even a junk hood, and I haven't sized up the factory hood ornament hole on my spare hood yet. But then again if I forget to take a magnetized ornament off it, becomes 100X easier to steal than one that's securely bolted to the hood. If I get a groove made in the bottom of the eagle, enough to interface with the ridge in the center of the hood, it should be impossible to unthread without opening the hood.

My K20 started barfing power steering fluid yesterday, so I'm gonna fix that first.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
So I talked to the machinist at work today... He said he doesn't have a good way of milling a groove into the bottom of my eagle. He's afraid to break the wings and doesn't have much else to hold it by.

I'm thinking my best approach may be a rough cut with a Dremel, and then hand file it to final shape. Matching the contour of the ridge in the hood will be tough, and time consuming with a file, but I don't have any better ideas at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef