CS alternator swap burning up fusible link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Well I got everything bolted back together in my serpentine swap just enough so I could fire her up so I can move everything inside for the upcoming frame repair. After bleeding the fuel system for about 15 minutes she fired right up while making an odd sound. The closer I got to the engine bay the more it sounded like something electrical. Soon there was a burning smell and wafts of smoke coming from around the orange fusible link on the junction block. The alternator is a 145 amp cs-144 and I'm wondering if it is putting out too much power for the stock harness as they weren't engineering with this kind of power in mind. I have some things to look up first but I thought I'd see if anyone had any insight to this.

Attachments

• photo 1 (6).jpg
    photo 1 (6).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 78

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Played with it today. When I finally got the truck started after I replaced the fusible link that burned up I felt the wire coming off of the alternator just before it came up to the junction block and it was warm to the touch so I added an 8 gauge wire to the back of the alternator straight to the passenger side battery and everything works great now.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good job figuring this out. I am chasing down some alternator issues myself this fine holiday.

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Good job figuring this out. I am chasing down some alternator issues myself this fine holiday.

Thanks. Im starting to realize I create most of the issues I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade