Cruise (speed) Control Servo Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey everybody.

About 3-1/2 years ago, I decided to rescue a C10 which had been sitting outside on the dirt, unattended and not even any shade around, for thirteen years. It took about sixty days to get it road worthy and when I checked the cruise to see if it worked, it engaged but did not appear to be working properly. I most likely wasn't driving much more than 45 mph and decided I wasn't going to worry too much about it and save that problem for later. Fast forward to about a year ago when I finally got it out of the body shop, I noticed that one of the rubber hose connections (larger one) on the servo was broken off. I tried to source the part and Rock Auto was the only place who listed the servo but it was out of stock. Almost a year later, they finally got some in stock and I received my re-manufactured servo, by Blue Streak Electronics, yesterday. It looks like the original one and I plan to swap it out this weekend.

Does anyone have any helpful tips I should know? It looks like it will be a challenge to get that bracket off the manifold. Was this a pretty good and reliable system when it was new? I have my doubts that when the body shop did the cab swap, they put everything back in the exact same place and configuration. Are there any adjustments that will need to be made? As always, thanks ahead for any ideas and advice.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Hey everybody.

About 3-1/2 years ago, I decided to rescue a C10 which had been sitting outside on the dirt, unattended and not even any shade around, for thirteen years. It took about sixty days to get it road worthy and when I checked the cruise to see if it worked, it engaged but did not appear to be working properly. I most likely wasn't driving much more than 45 mph and decided I wasn't going to worry too much about it and save that problem for later. Fast forward to about a year ago when I finally got it out of the body shop, I noticed that one of the rubber hose connections (larger one) on the servo was broken off. I tried to source the part and Rock Auto was the only place who listed the servo but it was out of stock. Almost a year later, they finally got some in stock and I received my re-manufactured servo, by Blue Streak Electronics, yesterday. It looks like the original one and I plan to swap it out this weekend.

Does anyone have any helpful tips I should know? It looks like it will be a challenge to get that bracket off the manifold. Was this a pretty good and reliable system when it was new? I have my doubts that when the body shop did the cab swap, they put everything back in the exact same place and configuration. Are there any adjustments that will need to be made? As always, thanks ahead for any ideas and advice.
Pics of what servo you are talking about?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
My repair manual has some pictures of the cruiuse control installed, and the servo was mounted on top of the driver’s side fender liner. The actuator cable runs toward the firewall, across behind the brake booster, and then back to the front so it lines up with the carburetor linkage. There is a small bracket that holds the end up parallel to the accelerator cable, and a clip that connects the end to the carb linkage. The diagram is pretty clear.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hey everybody.

this is from a car, but is this similar to what youre talking about? pics help.
You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I assume your talking about a cruise servo for a 82ish and up truck? Those have 2 vacuum ports, one is ful time manifold vacuum, the other goes to the brake switch. It has one large plug with 5 wires?

If that’s the style you need, they are all basically the same. The only difference is how the linkage connects. Some have a sheet metal bracket, others just a tab with various holes. I think GM stopped using that servo style around 2000, you should be able to find one pretty easy.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
\
I assume your talking about a cruise servo for a 82ish and up truck? Those have 2 vacuum ports, one is ful time manifold vacuum, the other goes to the brake switch. It has one large plug with 5 wires?

If that’s the style you need, they are all basically the same. The only difference is how the linkage connects. Some have a sheet metal bracket, others just a tab with various holes. I think GM stopped using that servo style around 2000, you should be able to find one pretty easy.
Are you talking about one like this?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
oh one of those. Honeslty, aftermarket or if one had a fuel injection system, a 90s gm cruise would be totally best option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1