Cruise control arm but no wiper controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Did these trucks ever come with turn signal mounted cruise control without the wiper controls and brights on the arm as well? I ask because I'm beginning a slow semi-restore project on my dad's old 79 K10 pickup and it didn't come with cruise, has the brights switch on the floor and the wiper control on the dash bezel. I would like to have cruise and we both would like tilt steering on the truck but he's fairly adamant about keeping the brights switch on the floor and wipers on the dash (for "authenticity...:whymewhyme:").

Anyone know? Pictures?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Did these trucks ever come with turn signal mounted cruise control without the wiper controls and brights on the arm as well? I ask because I'm beginning a slow semi-restore project on my dad's old 79 K10 pickup and it didn't come with cruise, has the brights switch on the floor and the wiper control on the dash bezel. I would like to have cruise and we both would like tilt steering on the truck but he's fairly adamant about keeping the brights switch on the floor and wipers on the dash (for "authenticity...:whymewhyme:").

Anyone know? Pictures?

Your 79 didn't have cruise or wipers, on the turn signal lever. That wasn't changed until the early 80s somewhere, I believe. Its possible you have a column from a newer truck. But I'm not 100% sure on everything I said, I'm just trying to remember off the top of my head.

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Mine doesn't have the wipers on the turn signal lever. Its just the turn signal. Wiper is on the dash. It's stock.

I'm looking into getting a different column (tilt) and wanted to get one that had cruise only on the turn signal lever, if they even came this way.

That's what I want to know: Did they ever have just the cruise on the lever (no wiper controls)?

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Mine doesn't have the wipers on the turn signal lever. Its just the turn signal. Wiper is on the dash. It's stock.

I'm looking into getting a different column (tilt) and wanted to get one that had cruise only on the turn signal lever, if they even came this way.

That's what I want to know: Did they ever have just the cruise on the lever (no wiper controls)?

Yes they did. I have a tilt column that I am wanting to install on my 1979 GMC. It has just the cruise on the turn signal. My wiper is on the dash and the headlight switch is on the floor as well.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size

Not that I'm aware of, especially in a non-tilt column,(but I could be mistaken). All you would have to do is swap the column out, and just disregard the wiper control function of it. Your wiper switch wiring should have its own routing to right below/above(not sure) the headlight switch. If you can live with the turn signal lever having a wiper function that's not hooked up, you'll be good to go

Last edited:

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Don5, do you have a picture of that lever and/or column?

I found one that I think would probably work but its for a corvette and expensive...didn't know if its the same as what you have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1980-C...ise-Control-/351285861818?fits=Model:Corvette

Does yours look like this?

Also, I've got a 1975 parts truck that I was planning on stealing the tilt column out of but it doesn't have CC either. Could I use that column and swap in a cruise /turn signal lever and wire? I think I remember reading somewhere that the Pre-1977 years wouldn't work for CC. Is this wrong (hopefully)?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They are out there, I've had more than a few 70's GM cars and trucks with cruise and the switch was on the turn signal lever. Currently I have a couple.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
They are out there, I've had more than a few 70's GM cars and trucks with cruise and the switch was on the turn signal lever. Currently I have a couple.

My '81 tilt column had cruise and no wiper control. I believe the wiper control appears around '84, just like the B-body cars. Keep in mind the coupling at the column to the intermediate shaft changes around 80-81 so I had to use the shaft from the '81. Coupled perfectly at the rag joint when I put the entire assembly in my '78.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, '84 was the first year for the multi-function switch in the trucks.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Yes that is what mine looks like. Boy that is expensive. I would look for a tilt column with CC before I bought that CC arm by itself. I don't know about the connector as I have not taken it apart but the handle and CC is the same.

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
yea I'm definitely looking for a whole tilt column first... I don't think I'd ever spend that much on it. I'm sure it's so expensive because it says "corvette". I just wanted to see if that's the same arm or style that you had and found it online with a google search.

So what year did they first start offering cruise only on the lever and tilt wheel?

? - 1984?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It started sometime in the early to mid 70's. A lot of early trucks had dealer-installed cruise though, that was mounted to dash from what I remember.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My truck is a turn signal & cruise only switch. The wipers are on the dash above the light switch and the dimmer switch is on the floor. They went to a multifunction switch in 1984.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My truck is a turn signal & cruise only switch. The wipers are on the dash above the light switch and the dimmer switch is on the floor. They went to a multifunction switch in 1984.

Yep, I have an 82 and 83 and they both have wipers on the dash, dimmer on the floor, and the turn/cruise on the lever.

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
There's a lot of words in those last couple of posts but I don't see any pics... Please :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly